Old 05-27-2008, 01:10 PM
"unix syzadmin"

Default Linux server time getting out of sync frequently.

Time on my linux server gets out of sync. The ntpd service is setup... and
we have configured /etc/ntp.conf accordingly.
This is the only linux server that is having this problem. Also some
times... I find ntp service is dead. Please suggest.

# service ntpd status
ntpd dead but pid file exists

# date
Tue May 27 02:52:44 EDT 2008

# ntpdate -u ntpserver
27 May 08:41:37 ntpdate[10330]: step time server 10.38.9.74 offset
20927.946559 sec

# date
Tue May 27 08:41:38 EDT 2008

# more /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 5)

# uname -a
Linux srvr017 2.6.9-55.0.2.EL #1 Tue Jun 12 17:47:10 EDT 2007 i686 athlon
i386 GNU/Linux

# rpm -qa | grep tzdata
tzdata-2007f-1.el4

Old 05-27-2008, 01:15 PM
"Gerrard Geldenhuis"

No idea... try increasing log level of ntpd to try and catch why it
dies...

Regards

Old 05-27-2008, 01:21 PM
"bruce"

is this a straight rhel install, or is it running an vmware or some virtual
system?

Old 05-27-2008, 07:39 PM
"unix syzadmin"

Hi,

This is a linux virtual machine on VMware3 virtual infrastructure.

Thanks.

Old 05-27-2008, 07:46 PM
"bruce"

as i thought!!

you're going to need to do some research, because i can't recall where the
info is for your issue.

rhel/vmware is known to cause timing issues with the rhel guest os.

search google for things like: vmware linux timing sync (etc..)

as i recall, there are a few parameters you can set within the vmware app
for the guest os, in order to sync the timing, and to stop the skew from
occuring...

i think you might also have to modify the kernel startup attributes.

the behavior you're seeing has nothing to do with your ntp setup..

good luck!!

Old 05-27-2008, 09:32 PM
John Horne

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 12:46 -0700, bruce wrote:
> as i thought!!
>
> you're going to need to do some research, because i can't recall where the
> info is for your issue.
>
> rhel/vmware is known to cause timing issues with the rhel guest os.
>
> search google for things like: vmware linux timing sync (etc..)
>
> as i recall, there are a few parameters you can set within the vmware app
> for the guest os, in order to sync the timing, and to stop the skew from
> occuring...
>
> i think you might also have to modify the kernel startup attributes.

The only solution I have found to work is to stop NTP on the guest and
simply run ntpdate (getting the time from other reliable server) every
hour or so via cron. The only 'solution' I have not tried is rebuilding
the kernel. Suggestions like use the PIT time source on the kernel
startup line may well improve the timekeeping, but it still loses time.

John.

Old 05-27-2008, 09:36 PM
Roderick

Never had this problem myself. I use VMware 3.5 and Linux RedHat 5,
Fedora (even though VMware doesn't support it). I installed the VMware
tools and I use NTP to set the time on the Linux virtual server.

Grtz,
Roderick

Old 05-27-2008, 09:50 PM
Josh Miller

John Horne wrote:

as i recall, there are a few parameters you can set within the vmware app
for the guest os, in order to sync the timing, and to stop the skew from
occuring...

i think you might also have to modify the kernel startup attributes.

The only solution I have found to work is to stop NTP on the guest and
simply run ntpdate (getting the time from other reliable server) every
hour or so via cron. The only 'solution' I have not tried is rebuilding
the kernel. Suggestions like use the PIT time source on the kernel
startup line may well improve the timekeeping, but it still loses time.

Hi, coming into this late, but I have been very successful with the
following solution:

1. make sure all ESX hosts are syncing time via NTP with a reliable source
2. disable NTPD in all guests
3. set each guest to sync time via VMware tools by setting
tools.SyncTime=TRUE

4. in each guest, on the kernel line in grub.conf, set clock=pit and reboot

That has been a bulletproof method for me with over 70 linux guests.

re: http://www.vmware.com/pdf/vmware_timekeeping.pdf

HTH,
Josh Miller - RHCE, VCP

Old 05-27-2008, 09:56 PM
"bruce"

josh!!!

thanks, you found the article that i was thinking of, and your steps are
pretty much what i recall we ran into!!!

Old 05-27-2008, 10:00 PM
John Horne

On Tue, 2008-05-27 at 23:36 +0200, Roderick wrote:
> Never had this problem myself. I use VMware 3.5 and Linux RedHat 5,
> Fedora (even though VMware doesn't support it). I installed the VMware
> tools and I use NTP to set the time on the Linux virtual server.

Does the server keep accurate time? We have vwmare ESX servers (not sure
what version), but running RHEL3 and 4 as guests, neither of them can
keep anything close to accurate time. We first noticed this when one
server was almost 12 hours out of sync! A simple test found that the
servers started to lose time within the hour.

John.