Old 09-29-2012, 12:15 AM
Marco Shaw

Default Defining a "Linux Engineer"

Perhaps my search engine foo is weak...

Anyone care to share what their "vision" is of what a "Linux Engineer"
does? Is it really any different than a "Linux Architect"? How
about a "Linux Analyst"?

Marco

Old 09-29-2012, 12:40 AM
Tom Burke

Gads, but the word "engineer" is horribly overused.

Fun facts: Calling yourself an engineer while not being a licensed
professional engineer is potentially illegal, as well as can get you in
deep kim che for misrepresentation.

I'm sure there are civil engineers that work primarily at waste water
treatment facilities who really get riled up over the term "sanitary
engineer" when it is applied to janitors.

As for myself, I am officially an EIT (although I've been practicing
engineering for 15 years), and One of my fields is "Systems Engineering."
On a relatively rcent job hunt, tons of companies wanted me to install and
maintain computers and networks.

Not to dis network & computer folks (I used to do that, too), but
seriously? Thank you Microsoft for clouding up all the issues.

</rant>

Old 09-29-2012, 01:48 AM
mark

Anyone care to share what their "vision" is of what a "Linux Engineer"
does? Is it really any different than a "Linux Architect"? How
about a "Linux Analyst"?

Dunno. Could this be a sysadmin that someone clueless labelled?

mark

Old 09-29-2012, 01:50 AM
mark

Gads, but the word "engineer" is horribly overused.

Fun facts: Calling yourself an engineer while not being a licensed
professional engineer is potentially illegal, as well as can get you in
deep kim che for misrepresentation.

I'm not sure of that. I thought that was true *only* if you call
yourself a licensed professional engineer.

<snip>
mark

Old 09-29-2012, 02:00 AM
Yusuf

> Fun facts: Calling yourself an engineer while not being a licensed
> professional engineer is potentially illegal, as well as can get you in
> deep kim che for misrepresentation.

Out of the topic. I dont disagree with "potentially illegal".
I am running and doing maintenance 10.000 server but I dont have
licensed :-)
Sometimes I fill out a form as engineer :-)

Yusuf

On Fri, 28 Sep 2012 20:40:47 -0400
Tom Burke <tomburkeii@gmail.com> wrote:

> Gads, but the word "engineer" is horribly overused.
>
> Fun facts: Calling yourself an engineer while not being a licensed
> professional engineer is potentially illegal, as well as can get you in
> deep kim che for misrepresentation.
>
> I'm sure there are civil engineers that work primarily at waste water
> treatment facilities who really get riled up over the term "sanitary
> engineer" when it is applied to janitors.
>
> As for myself, I am officially an EIT (although I've been practicing
> engineering for 15 years), and One of my fields is "Systems Engineering."
> On a relatively rcent job hunt, tons of companies wanted me to install and
> maintain computers and networks.
>
> Not to dis network & computer folks (I used to do that, too), but
> seriously? Thank you Microsoft for clouding up all the issues.
>
> </rant>
>
> On Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 8:15 PM, Marco Shaw <marco.shaw@gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > Perhaps my search engine foo is weak...
> >
> > Anyone care to share what their "vision" is of what a "Linux Engineer"
> > does? Is it really any different than a "Linux Architect"? How
> > about a "Linux Analyst"?
> >
> > Marco
> >
> > --

M. Yusuf Efendi
mye@bali.to
http://blogku.net
FB/YM/Skype: myusufe

Old 09-29-2012, 02:40 AM
Dave Ihnat

Once, long ago--actually, on Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 08:50:17PM CDT--mark (m.roth@5-cent.us) said:
> Gads, but the word "engineer" is horribly overused.

True.

> Fun facts: Calling yourself an engineer while not being a licensed
> professional engineer is potentially illegal, as well as can get you in
> deep kim che for misrepresentation.

Depends on what you're using it as. If you're trying to get a position
that requires a PE, maybe. Otherwise, I doubt it.

Cheers,
--
Dave Ihnat
ignatz@dminet.com

Old 09-29-2012, 03:01 AM
Matty Sarro

It's annoying that I've spent more than 15 years on both work
experience and education and have to deal with people saying things
like, "Not to dis network & computer folks (I used to do that, too),
but seriously?"

Yes, seriously. Some of us aren't just tinkering around with windows,
and your comment is insulting to the folks who really are involved
with complex systems supporting tens of millions of customers and
providing critical infrastructure. Those of us who are working in
telecom and riding the wave as new standards get written (things like
carrier ethernet and docsis 3). No, i'm not a licensed engineer, but
most of my colleagues are, and my work is every bit as good as theirs.
And I've earned enough of their respect that they trust me when it
comes to systems architecture, and occasionally even seek out my
advice while they're putting together RFC's for the IETF.

As for the OP, a linux engineer would be someone who engineers using
linux (sorry for the circular reference). That means, someone who
builds complex systems using linux.

-Matty

Old 09-29-2012, 07:20 PM
Gescape

On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 21:40 -0500, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> Once, long ago--actually, on Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 08:50:17PM CDT--mark (m.roth@5-cent.us) said:
> > Gads, but the word "engineer" is horribly overused.
>
> True.
>
> > Fun facts: Calling yourself an engineer while not being a licensed
> > professional engineer is potentially illegal, as well as can get you in
> > deep kim che for misrepresentation.
>
> Depends on what you're using it as. If you're trying to get a position
> that requires a PE, maybe. Otherwise, I doubt it.
>
> Cheers,
> --
> Dave Ihnat
> ignatz@dminet.com

Agree. I recently passed RHCE. Does it make me an engineer? Hmm... I
believe it depends on the point of view. Reality is it does not matter
what's on a paper. What matters really is if you can do your job really
well so the others can say "He/she really knows how to do/fix it."
I can master one technology and has no clue about the other. Am I an
engineer or not? I can pass the exam and forget most of it in 6 months.
Will I be still an engineer? ;-)

Regards,
Grzeg

Old 09-29-2012, 11:52 PM
Tom Curl

When I was a little kid the only kind of engineers I knew of operated
the throttles and brakes on trains.

My uncle owned a company which repaired the electric motor on tugboats
and drawbridges. At some point I learned he was an electrical engineer.

Later I went to school to become a mechanical engineer and ended up
working for a computer company working on digital electronic circuits.
This was before microprocessors were invented.

So . . . What's an engineer? I'll be interested to find out.

Tom

Old 09-30-2012, 01:08 AM
fred smith

On Sat, Sep 29, 2012 at 08:20:45PM +0100, Gescape wrote:

> On Fri, 2012-09-28 at 21:40 -0500, Dave Ihnat wrote:
> > Once, long ago--actually, on Fri, Sep 28, 2012 at 08:50:17PM CDT--mark (m.roth@5-cent.us) said:
> > > Gads, but the word "engineer" is horribly overused.
> >
> > True.
> >
> > > Fun facts: Calling yourself an engineer while not being a licensed
> > > professional engineer is potentially illegal, as well as can get you in
> > > deep kim che for misrepresentation.

What about (the many) people such as my wife, who holds two degrees
in engineering (Aerospace and Mechanical), but has never taken the PE
exam? Is she an engineer? I'd say she is!

all ages, now and forevermore! Amen."