Old 09-30-2012, 01:41 AM
Tom Burke

Default Defining a "Linux Engineer"

I have a BS in Electrical, an MS in Electrical, and an MS in Systems. I've
been working in the Electronics & Systems Engineering fields for going on
15 years, now. I cannot *legally* call myself an Engineer, as I've not
taken the PE, either. Bummer, eh? That was something that was impressed
upon me when I took the FE exam, long, long ago.

I've been thinking about trying for that piece of paper, but it's only
offered every so often in MD.

My beef, though, is with the "advertising" of things, especially around
here. See, I've been busting hump for all those years becoming an "expert"
in the field of electronics Engineering and complex systems (Systems
Engineering) - including architecting, designing pieces of, tracking
requirements for, writing manuals for, and selling off those systems. And
then I go looking for a new job, and the folks advertising "Systems
Engineer" want me to maintain computers on networks.

Don't get me wrong, I can do that. Heck, I have done it. But that's not
exactly what a "Systems Engineer" does, in most cases. And you can imagine
that I'd have to take a hefty pay cut to go off and do those things. Great
if I'd decided I wanted to change my career and go off and do those
things. A waste of the hiring company's and my time, otherwise.

Old 10-01-2012, 04:37 AM
navneet sharma

And for me, it is just to lure the students to pay for the certifications
and students come in the influence that they are going to become an engineer
just with little practise on some commands and minor troubleshooting.
no job surety with this stuff but yes one is called An certified engineer ,
ultimately after some moth's of harassment of unemployment students are
force to move on. and the purpose is cleared conclusively which is just
concerned to generate revenue for brands.

Nothing to shock when students will be server with the certificate of
Doctor just after clearing some same kind of stuffed ambiguous money making
techniques.

Let us make upcoming fresh man power aware with such such things just to
make Hi-Tech industry for next era not just Engineers.
Hair rising thing is we are motivated for open source implementation, are
we doing so...????

Sorry if I hurt anybody.

Old 10-01-2012, 11:12 AM
Tom Curl

IMHO Navneet Sharma is right on. A person is what they make of
themselves, not what they pay someone else to say they are.

How one becomes educated, and how well they become educated, in their
chosen field(s) is up to themselves, not a paid third party.

That's why some are recognized as being experts, and others, not so
much, even though the not so muchers may have all sorts of flowery
credentials they can use to impress and in many cases mislead.

When we hire an "engineer" we always rigorously evaluate the individual
to determine for ourselves they are what they claim to be, regardless of
their CV.

Tom Curl
ENERTEX