-   -   Community support (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/699772-community-support.html)

Marco Shaw 09-01-2012 08:01 PM

Community support

10 years ago, NNTP seemed to be the "place to be" to ask questions and
get answers from the general Linux community.

I've been out of touch for several years, and have seen, for example,
Microsoft completely drop NNTP and replace it with its own web-based
forums.

Is NNTP still the best community-based support forum? I don't know
know if my ISP still supports it as they use to have a local cache of
the majority of the groups at the time...

Marco

Yong Huang 09-02-2012 06:53 PM

Community support

> 10 years ago, NNTP seemed to be the "place to be" to ask questions and
> get answers from the general Linux community.
>
> I've been out of touch for several years, and have seen, for example,
> Microsoft completely drop NNTP and replace it with its own web-based
> forums.
>
> Is NNTP still the best community-based support forum? I don't know
> know if my ISP still supports it as they use to have a local cache of
> the majority of the groups at the time...
>
> Marco

I used to use it a lot. But there're at least two major reasons why it slowly falls into disuse. Popular use and the convenience of web forums is one. The other is failed control of spam, "flames" (as was called back then), and all sorts of unprofessional remarks, all of which would be well controlled on a web forum with a human moderator. Google bought DejaNews many years ago so the inconvenience of using Usenet as such was eliminated (we could use http://groups.google.com). Google attempted to solve the second problem by providing a link "Report as spam" (something like that) but it was useless.

Nowadays, IT or computer related newsgroups are almost always full of spam. But non-IT groups, such as alt.home.repair, are quite active, and for some magic reason, are rarely spammed. Actually, I only go there through Google's web interface (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/alt.home.repair) so even if it's not a Usenet newsgroup behind the scenes, I can't tell.

Yong Huang

"Mertens, Bram" 09-03-2012 02:01 PM

Community support

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

> > 10 years ago, NNTP seemed to be the "place to be" to ask questions and
> > get answers from the general Linux community.
> >
> > I've been out of touch for several years, and have seen, for example,
> > Microsoft completely drop NNTP and replace it with its own web-based
> > forums.
> >
> > Is NNTP still the best community-based support forum? I don't know
> > know if my ISP still supports it as they use to have a local cache of
> > the majority of the groups at the time...
> >
> > Marco
>
> I used to use it a lot. But there're at least two major reasons why it slowly
> falls into disuse. Popular use and the convenience of web forums is one. The
> other is failed control of spam, "flames" (as was called back then), and all
> sorts of unprofessional remarks, all of which would be well controlled on a
> web forum with a human moderator. Google bought DejaNews many years
> ago so the inconvenience of using Usenet as such was eliminated (we could
> use http://groups.google.com). Google attempted to solve the second
> problem by providing a link "Report as spam" (something like that) but it was
> useless.
>
> Nowadays, IT or computer related newsgroups are almost always full of
> spam. But non-IT groups, such as alt.home.repair, are quite active, and for
> some magic reason, are rarely spammed. Actually, I only go there through
> Google's web interface
> (https://groups.google.com/forum/?fromgroups#!forum/alt.home.repair)
> so even if it's not a Usenet newsgroup behind the scenes, I can't tell.
>
> Yong Huang

Hi,

I recently found the stackexchange websites to be very useful. Through their system of votes spam and off-topic questions are largely avoided.

Specifically:
http://superuser.com/
http://unix.stackexchange.com/
http://serverfault.com/