-   -   Curl not marking mail as read!! (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/696057-curl-not-marking-mail-read.html)

raj sourabh 08-20-2012 07:44 PM

Curl not marking mail as read!!

Hi All,

I am trying to write a script which respond to all the mails received on my
gmail account. I am able to get the sender's email address successfully
using curl (check below). But the problem here is, this is not marking the
mail as read and/or it is fetching all the email addresses everytime the
script runs.

Is there anyway i can make curl to fetch only the new mails and once only.

*#!/bin/bash*
*
*
*var=$(curl -u gmail_username:gmail_password --silent '
https://mail.google.com/mail/feed/atom' | tr -d '
' | awk -F '<entry>'
'{for (i=2; i<=NF; i++) {print $i}}' | sed -n
's/<title>(.*)</title.*email>(.*)</email>.*/2 /p')*
*
*
*for i in $var*
*do*
*echo $i*
*done*

Please suggest.

Thanks for help.
Raj

Jonathan Billings 08-20-2012 07:55 PM

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 3:44 PM, raj sourabh <rajsourabh1@gmail.com> wrote:
> Is there anyway i can make curl to fetch only the new mails and once only.

It looks like the atom feed is read-only, you'd have to sign in and
mark the messages as read if you wanted to remove them from the feed.
You'll either have to keep track of the messages you've sent a message
to, or use something other than the read-only feed to get a list of
email addresses. How about writing a script that uses POP or IMAP?

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin@umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support

raj sourabh 08-20-2012 08:20 PM

Curl not marking mail as read!!

Thanks for your response. Well I tried writing a script in perl using
POP3client module. The below script works but I am not able to fetch the
senders email address. ("From" tag prints the name of the sender, not the
mail :( )

*#!/usr/bin/perl -w*
*use strict;*
*use Mail::POP3Client;*