Old 08-14-2012, 04:27 PM
"Martini, Dave"

Default RHEL6 Network Manager for Work/Home

I have a RHEL6 laptop at work with a static IP address.
I want to take this laptop home to connect to my wired network at home.
My provider users DHCP at home.
Do I need to do anything to configure the network connection when I plug in my cable to my laptop at home or will it recognize
automatically that it's a DHCP connection?
In my Network Manager applet in my Gnome panel I did define a 2nd. Wired connection called home that is set to DHCP.
Thank you.
Dave.

Old 08-14-2012, 05:27 PM

Dave,

Martini, Dave wrote:
> I have a RHEL6 laptop at work with a static IP address.
> I want to take this laptop home to connect to my wired network at home.
> My provider users DHCP at home.
> Do I need to do anything to configure the network connection when I plug
> in my cable to my laptop at home or will it recognize
> automatically that it's a DHCP connection?
> In my Network Manager applet in my Gnome panel I did define a 2nd. Wired
> connection called home that is set to DHCP.
> Thank you.

You say it has a static IP at work: is that configured onto the laptop
itself, or is it actually assigned a given IP, via MAC address, by DHCP
(which we do at work).

mark

Old 08-14-2012, 06:09 PM
"Martini, Dave"

The laptop is setup with a static IP address at work which is configured onto the laptop itself.
Dave.

Old 08-14-2012, 06:17 PM

Martini, Dave wrote:

> The laptop is setup with a static IP address at work which is configured
> onto the laptop itself.

Is it a 192.168 address at work? If not, you are going to have to tell it
to use DHCP.

And please don't top post.

mark

Old 08-14-2012, 06:25 PM
Harry Hoffman

Then Network Manager can't (currently) handle it.

Cheers,
Harry

Old 08-14-2012, 07:12 PM

Harry Hoffman wrote (top posting while reading the request to not top post):
> Then Network Manager can't (currently) handle it.
>
> On 08/14/2012 02:17 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
>> Martini, Dave wrote:
>>
>>> The laptop is setup with a static IP address at work which is
>>> configured
>>> onto the laptop itself.
>>
>> Is it a 192.168 address at work? If not, you are going to have to tell
>> it
>> to use DHCP.
>>
>> And please don't top post.

Then
$ service NetworkManager stop
$ vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
# IPADDR=whatsit
:wq
$ service network restart

mark

Old 08-14-2012, 07:39 PM
Paul Whitney

Paul M. Whitney
paul.whitney@me.com

Martini, Dave wrote:

The laptop is setup with a static IP address at work which is
configured
onto the laptop itself.

Is it a 192.168 address at work? If not, you are going to have to tell
it
to use DHCP.

And please don't top post.

Then
$ service NetworkManager stop
$ vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
# IPADDR=whatsit
:wq
$ service network restart
*
As root (#). *I only say this because your prompt looks like regular user ($). *Some companies that issue laptops typically do not give up the admin rights. *So he may be SOL unless he decides to reconfigure his router at home to dole out IP addresses similar to the one he has at work...

Paul

mark

Old 08-14-2012, 07:40 PM

Paul Whitney wrote:
> On Aug 14, 2012, at 03:12 PM, m.roth@5-cent.us wrote:
> Harry Hoffman wrote (top posting while reading the request to not top
> post):
>> Then Network Manager can't (currently) handle it.

>>> Is it a 192.168 address at work? If not, you are going to have to tell
>>> it to use DHCP.
>>>
>>> And please don't top post.
>
> Then
> $ service NetworkManager stop
> $ vi /etc/sysconfig/network-scripts/ifcfg-eth0
> BOOTPROTO="dhcp"
> # IPADDR=whatsit
> :wq
> $ service network restart
> *
> As root (#). *I only say this because your prompt looks like regular user
> ($). *Some companies that issue laptops typically do not give up the admin
> rights. *So he may be SOL unless he decides to reconfigure his router at
> home to dole out IP addresses similar to the one he has at work...

Dunno. My prompts, whether as myself, root, or sudo, all are
user@server:dir >

But someone who's got a Linux laptop, I'd expect to have some rights, at
least sudo. And he *ought* to have discussed this with his managers, who
you would think would be able to handle that issue.

mark

Old 08-14-2012, 09:04 PM
"S. Edouard Jr"

go to /usr/bin/setup. Create a subdevice under eth0. Network
config->device config->New Device->ethernet->ETH0:0-> Fill in the
information. Now the main device connect under work settings and the
subdevice under the main device connect to home info..

Old 08-15-2012, 01:27 AM
Grzegorz Witkowski

http://mydataexchange.net/netmgr/
Check this out...