-   -   sending mail from sendmail is very slow!!!! (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/688677-sending-mail-sendmail-very-slow.html)

raj sourabh 07-29-2012 05:16 PM

sending mail from sendmail is very slow!!!!

Hi All,

I am using a sendmail for sending alerts and notification from RHEL server
5.5. But the sendmail process is very slow and it takes around 2 minutes to
complete.

Is there any way i can make it faster?

Thanks in advace.

Regards,
Raj

Jonathan Billings 07-31-2012 02:04 PM

On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM, raj sourabh <rajsourabh1@gmail.com> wrote:

> I am using a sendmail for sending alerts and notification from RHEL server
> 5.5. But the sendmail process is very slow and it takes around 2 minutes to
> complete.
>
> Is there any way i can make it faster?

First, I hope you're running with the latest updates, and not really RHEL
5.5.

It's not really possible to know exactly what is wrong from these somewhat
vague details, but I suggest looking at your DNS settings, particularly for
the hosts running sendmail. As a quick guess: Sendmail is very picky about
DNS and if you are using any host names that don't resolve, it can take
longer than it would otherwise.

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin@umich.edu>

07-31-2012 02:12 PM

Jonathan Billings wrote:
> On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM, raj sourabh <rajsourabh1@gmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I am using a sendmail for sending alerts and notification from RHEL
>> server 5.5. But the sendmail process is very slow and it takes around 2
minutes
>> to complete.
>>
>> Is there any way i can make it faster?

> First, I hope you're running with the latest updates, and not really RHEL
> 5.5.
>
> It's not really possible to know exactly what is wrong from these somewhat
> vague details, but I suggest looking at your DNS settings, particularly
> for the hosts running sendmail. As a quick guess: Sendmail is very picky
> about DNS and if you are using any host names that don't resolve, it can
take
> longer than it would otherwise.

If it's still that way, I'll second that - about 5 years ago, I had
someone sending out email via a mailing list, and it was seriously
ridiculous - many, many minutes, because of screwy recipient addresses.

mark

raj sourabh 07-31-2012 06:42 PM

sending mail from sendmail is very slow!!!!

Well.. Right now the DNS ip addresses are only on resolve.conf..

Do i have to put the IP entries of target servers eg. gmail, exhange serves
in the /etc/hosts file??

Else where should i specify the DNS entries to sendout the mail fatster..

Thanks for help.

Raj

On Tue, Jul 31, 2012 at 6:12 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> Jonathan Billings wrote:
> > On Sun, Jul 29, 2012 at 1:16 PM, raj sourabh <rajsourabh1@gmail.com>
> > wrote:
> >
> >> I am using a sendmail for sending alerts and notification from RHEL
> >> server 5.5. But the sendmail process is very slow and it takes around 2
> minutes
> >> to complete.
> >>
> >> Is there any way i can make it faster?
>
> > First, I hope you're running with the latest updates, and not really RHEL
> > 5.5.
> >
> > It's not really possible to know exactly what is wrong from these
> somewhat
> > vague details, but I suggest looking at your DNS settings, particularly
> > for the hosts running sendmail. As a quick guess: Sendmail is very picky
> > about DNS and if you are using any host names that don't resolve, it can
> take
> > longer than it would otherwise.
>
> If it's still that way, I'll second that - about 5 years ago, I had
> someone sending out email via a mailing list, and it was seriously
> ridiculous - many, many minutes, because of screwy recipient addresses.
>
> mark

07-31-2012 08:48 PM

raj sourabh wrote:
> Well.. Right now the DNS ip addresses are only on resolve.conf..
>
> Do i have to put the IP entries of target servers eg. gmail, exhange
> serves in the /etc/hosts file??
>
> Else where should i specify the DNS entries to sendout the mail fatster..

Um, no, the DNS IP addresses are not in resolv.conf, what's in there are
your nameservers, and maybe a search domain. You may have to either prune
your mailing lists, and find the bad addresses, or send it in batches.

One place I worked, we used some queue manager.

mark

Corey Kovacs 07-31-2012 09:43 PM

sending mail from sendmail is very slow!!!!

Raj, can we assume you've monitored /var/log/maillog on the various servers
in the chain to see if any helpful messages exist? That's where I'd start
see if sendmail has anything specific it is complaining about.

raj sourabh 08-01-2012 06:52 AM

sending mail from sendmail is very slow!!!!

Thanks all for your replies.

The following changes saved lot of time and now mails are processed within
5 sec :)

I was trying to sendmail to gmail account. here is wat my host file looks
like..

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost TESTSRV
192.168.11.50 TESTSRV
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
173.194.79.27 gmail.com
173.194.79.27 gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
~

Thank you all for your help...

mark 08-01-2012 11:47 AM

sending mail from sendmail is very slow!!!!

The following changes saved lot of time and now mails are processed within
5 sec :)

I was trying to sendmail to gmail account. here is wat my host file looks
like..

127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost TESTSRV
192.168.11.50 TESTSRV
::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
173.194.79.27 gmail.com
173.194.79.27 gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
~

That's *not* good. You shouldn't have anything that you don't control in
your hosts file. Worst case: put google's nameservers in your resolv.conf

mark

Thank you all for your help...

Raj, can we assume you've monitored /var/log/maillog on the various servers
in the chain to see if any helpful messages exist? That's where I'd start
see if sendmail has anything specific it is complaining about.
I am using a sendmail for sending alerts and notification from RHEL

server

5.5. But the sendmail process is very slow and it takes around 2 minutes

complete.

Is there any way i can make it faster?

Thanks in advace.

Regards,
Raj

"Stock traders are a superstitious and cowardly lot", to paraphrase the
Batman

raj sourabh 08-01-2012 12:58 PM

sending mail from sendmail is very slow!!!!

I understand the scenario but in my case when the below entries are not put
on host file , DNS tries to get to google on 173.194.79.25/26 and finally
27. (25/26 are not reachable in my case and system sleeps for sometime
until it starts trying for 27). May be its operator network issue!!

We have static IP from the operator and DNS IP addesses were provided by
them.

Still is there any other way we can specify preferred servers for sendmail
????

Regards,
Raj

On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 3:47 PM, mark <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> On 08/01/12 02:52, raj sourabh wrote:
>
>> Thanks all for your replies.
>>
>> The following changes saved lot of time and now mails are processed within
>> 5 sec :)
>>
>> I was trying to sendmail to gmail account. here is wat my host file looks
>> like..
>>
>> # Do not remove the following line, or various programs
>> # that require network functionality will fail.
>> 127.0.0.1 localhost.localdomain localhost TESTSRV
>> 192.168.11.50 TESTSRV
>> ::1 localhost6.localdomain6 localhost6
>> 173.194.79.27 gmail.com
>> 173.194.79.27 gmail-smtp-in.l.google.com
>> ~
>>

> That's *not* good. You shouldn't have anything that you don't control in
> your hosts file. Worst case: put google's nameservers in your resolv.conf
>
> mark
>

>> Thank you all for your help...
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 1, 2012 at 1:43 AM, Corey Kovacs<corey.kovacs@gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> Raj, can we assume you've monitored /var/log/maillog on the various
>>> servers
>>> in the chain to see if any helpful messages exist? That's where I'd start
>>> see if sendmail has anything specific it is complaining about.
>>> On Jul 29, 2012 11:24 AM, "raj sourabh"<rajsourabh1@gmail.com**> wrote:
>>>
>>> Hi All,

>>> server

> "Stock traders are a superstitious and cowardly lot", to paraphrase the
> Batman

08-01-2012 02:53 PM

raj sourabh wrote:
> I understand the scenario but in my case when the below entries are not
> put
> on host file , DNS tries to get to google on 173.194.79.25/26 and finally
> 27. (25/26 are not reachable in my case and system sleeps for sometime
> until it starts trying for 27). May be its operator network issue!!
>
> We have static IP from the operator and DNS IP addesses were provided by
> them.
>
> Still is there any other way we can specify preferred servers for sendmail
> ????

A quick google to verify yields
*********
Google Public DNS IP addresses

The Google Public DNS IP addresses (IPv4) are as follows:

8.8.8.8
8.8.4.4
at <https://developers.google.com/speed/public-dns/docs/using>

Add those to your /etc/resolv.conf.