FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Linux

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 07-25-2012, 11:18 AM
Robert Canary
 
Default FAILED SMART self-check

I have RHEL machine here that becomes so unresponsive the mail server it is hosting practically stops. It is currently running a mirrored drive between sda and sdb. I have been getting the following errors in the log files, so I moved the mirrored drive to sda and disabled the (old) sda. Currently the system seems to be stable again, however, I am still getting these errors.

Any ideas where to go to fix it. Could it be bad sectors where transferred to the mirrored drive? Running smartmontools-5.3 I

Jul 25 04:06:58 zmail smartd[2565]: Device: /dev/sda, FAILED SMART self-check. BACK UP DATA NOW!
Jul 25 04:06:58 zmail smartd[2565]: Device: /dev/sda, 1 Currently unreadable (pending) sectors
Jul 25 04:06:58 zmail smartd[2565]: Device: /dev/sda, 1 Offline uncorrectable sectors J



Robert Canary
OCDirect Electrical-Datacomm
(866) 594-0786 Fax
(270) 955-0362 Voice

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 AM
mark
 
Default FAILED SMART self-check

On 07/25/12 07:18, Robert Canary wrote:

I have RHEL machine here that becomes so unresponsive the mail server
it is hosting practically stops. It is currently running a mirrored
drive between sda and sdb. I have been getting the following errors
in the log files, so I moved the mirrored drive to sda and disabled
the (old) sda. Currently the system seems to be stable again,
however, I am still getting these errors.


I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you did. You mention two drives,
and then "the (old) sda". ?


Next, is this RAID 1?


Any ideas where to go to fix it. Could it be bad sectors where
transferred to the mirrored drive? Running smartmontools-5.3 I


No. Bad sectors are *physical* errors on the platter.
<snip>
mark

--
When was the pleistocene?
Around 1.8 million years ago, til about 10K years ago.
What era are we in now?
Trouble.

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 07-25-2012, 12:40 PM
Robert Canary
 
Default FAILED SMART self-check

Sorry for the confusion.

Two drives sda and sdb are mirrored with RAID 1
Getting errors on sda.
I removed the sda, and moved sdb into the sda position

However, I am still getting the same errors on the sda.

Robert Canary
OCDirect Electrical-Datacomm
(866) 594-0786 Fax
(270) 955-0362 Voice

----- Original Message -----
> On 07/25/12 07:18, Robert Canary wrote:
> > I have RHEL machine here that becomes so unresponsive the mail
> > server
> > it is hosting practically stops. It is currently running a mirrored
> > drive between sda and sdb. I have been getting the following errors
> > in the log files, so I moved the mirrored drive to sda and disabled
> > the (old) sda. Currently the system seems to be stable again,
> > however, I am still getting these errors.
>
> I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you did. You mention two
> drives,
> and then "the (old) sda". ?
>
> Next, is this RAID 1?
> >
> > Any ideas where to go to fix it. Could it be bad sectors where
> > transferred to the mirrored drive? Running smartmontools-5.3 I
>
> No. Bad sectors are *physical* errors on the platter.
> <snip>
> mark
>
> --
> When was the pleistocene?
> Around 1.8 million years ago, til about 10K years ago.
> What era are we in now?
> Trouble.
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 07-25-2012, 01:07 PM
 
Default FAILED SMART self-check

Robert Canary wrote:
> Sorry for the confusion.
>
> Two drives sda and sdb are mirrored with RAID 1
> Getting errors on sda.
> I removed the sda, and moved sdb into the sda position
>
> However, I am still getting the same errors on the sda.
>
First, but based on what you've written, you really need to read up on
what RAID 1 *is*.

Second, when you say you removed /dev/sda, did you take it out of the box,
or just swap positions? If the latter, then a) the system still sees it as
sda: that's not something you've made any changed to - the system will
look for a LABEL or UUID, b) if you did take it out, and replace it with
another, new, physical drive, then there will be RAID messages saying it's
rebuilding, and c) if you just took it out, and there's only the one
drive, the former /dev/sdb, you will be seeing tons of messages that RAID
is degraded.

mark

>
> ----- Original Message -----
>> On 07/25/12 07:18, Robert Canary wrote:
>> > I have RHEL machine here that becomes so unresponsive the mail
>> > server
>> > it is hosting practically stops. It is currently running a mirrored
>> > drive between sda and sdb. I have been getting the following errors
>> > in the log files, so I moved the mirrored drive to sda and disabled
>> > the (old) sda. Currently the system seems to be stable again,
>> > however, I am still getting these errors.
>>
>> I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you did. You mention two
>> drives,
>> and then "the (old) sda". ?
>>
>> Next, is this RAID 1?
>> >
>> > Any ideas where to go to fix it. Could it be bad sectors where
>> > transferred to the mirrored drive? Running smartmontools-5.3 I
>>
>> No. Bad sectors are *physical* errors on the platter.
>> <snip>
>> mark
>>
>> --
>> When was the pleistocene?
>> Around 1.8 million years ago, til about 10K years ago.
>> What era are we in now?
>> Trouble.
>>
>> --
>> redhat-list mailing list
>> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
>> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>>
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>


--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 07-25-2012, 01:18 PM
Paul Tader
 
Default FAILED SMART self-check

On 7/25/12 7:40 AM, Robert Canary wrote:

Sorry for the confusion.

Two drives sda and sdb are mirrored with RAID 1
Getting errors on sda.
I removed the sda, and moved sdb into the sda position

However, I am still getting the same errors on the sda.

Robert Canary
OCDirect Electrical-Datacomm
(866) 594-0786 Fax
(270) 955-0362 Voice

----- Original Message -----

On 07/25/12 07:18, Robert Canary wrote:

I have RHEL machine here that becomes so unresponsive the mail
server
it is hosting practically stops. It is currently running a mirrored
drive between sda and sdb. I have been getting the following errors
in the log files, so I moved the mirrored drive to sda and disabled
the (old) sda. Currently the system seems to be stable again,
however, I am still getting these errors.


I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you did. You mention two
drives,
and then "the (old) sda". ?

Next, is this RAID 1?


Any ideas where to go to fix it. Could it be bad sectors where
transferred to the mirrored drive? Running smartmontools-5.3 I


No. Bad sectors are *physical* errors on the platter.
<snip>
mark

--
When was the pleistocene?
Around 1.8 million years ago, til about 10K years ago.
What era are we in now?
Trouble.

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list





Sorry, if you mean you physically move the sdb drive to the physical
location sda was in? Or in other words swapped hardware around?


mark is correct. This drive is failing and needs to be replaced. In
short you should run the mdadm tool to remove the drive from the
mirrored set (if it's not already), physically replace the drive,
partition and add the new drive into the mirror with the mdadm utility.


As far as the server being slow, it could be that the OS is trying to
read/write data from this failing drive and is slow because it's
encountering I/O errors. Run the command "dmesg". I'm betting it
filled with I/O errors.


Hope this helps.

Paul

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 07-25-2012, 02:19 PM
Robert Canary
 
Default FAILED SMART self-check

As I said I *removed* the drive in the sda location.
I then put the mirrored drive (on sdb) in its place (into sda). Now sdb is running in the sda slot.
I appreciate the suggestion, however, I do understand how RAID 1 works I understand what RAID 1 is.
Yes I do have messages that sdb is missing. I can disregard those messages for the moment. However, since it is RAID 1 at the bios level, thats probally why I'm not seeing tons of message about it missing.

My concern is I am still getting the same error. for the device at sda. However, it is a different device was. I have never seen RAID 1 transfer bad sector to the mirrored drive. I don't even think that is possible since we are talking about a physical defect. . . . . . aren't we?

Robert Canary
OCDirect Electrical-Datacomm
(866) 594-0786 Fax
(270) 955-0362 Voice

----- Original Message -----
> Robert Canary wrote:
> > Sorry for the confusion.
> >
> > Two drives sda and sdb are mirrored with RAID 1
> > Getting errors on sda.
> > I removed the sda, and moved sdb into the sda position
> >
> > However, I am still getting the same errors on the sda.
> >
> First, but based on what you've written, you really need to read up
> on
> what RAID 1 *is*.
>
> Second, when you say you removed /dev/sda, did you take it out of the
> box,
> or just swap positions? If the latter, then a) the system still sees
> it as
> sda: that's not something you've made any changed to - the system
> will
> look for a LABEL or UUID, b) if you did take it out, and replace it
> with
> another, new, physical drive, then there will be RAID messages saying
> it's
> rebuilding, and c) if you just took it out, and there's only the one
> drive, the former /dev/sdb, you will be seeing tons of messages that
> RAID
> is degraded.
>
> mark
>
> >
> > ----- Original Message -----
> >> On 07/25/12 07:18, Robert Canary wrote:
> >> > I have RHEL machine here that becomes so unresponsive the mail
> >> > server
> >> > it is hosting practically stops. It is currently running a
> >> > mirrored
> >> > drive between sda and sdb. I have been getting the following
> >> > errors
> >> > in the log files, so I moved the mirrored drive to sda and
> >> > disabled
> >> > the (old) sda. Currently the system seems to be stable again,
> >> > however, I am still getting these errors.
> >>
> >> I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you did. You mention two
> >> drives,
> >> and then "the (old) sda". ?
> >>
> >> Next, is this RAID 1?
> >> >
> >> > Any ideas where to go to fix it. Could it be bad sectors where
> >> > transferred to the mirrored drive? Running smartmontools-5.3 I
> >>
> >> No. Bad sectors are *physical* errors on the platter.
> >> <snip>
> >> mark
> >>
> >> --
> >> When was the pleistocene?
> >> Around 1.8 million years ago, til about 10K years ago.
> >> What era are we in now?
> >> Trouble.
> >>
> >> --
> >> redhat-list mailing list
> >> unsubscribe
> >> mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> >> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
> >>
> >
> > --
> > redhat-list mailing list
> > unsubscribe
> > mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> > https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
> >
>
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 07-25-2012, 03:20 PM
 
Default FAILED SMART self-check

Robert Canary wrote:
> As I said I *removed* the drive in the sda location.
> I then put the mirrored drive (on sdb) in its place (into sda). Now sdb
> is running in the sda slot.
> I appreciate the suggestion, however, I do understand how RAID 1 works I
> understand what RAID 1 is.
> Yes I do have messages that sdb is missing. I can disregard those
> messages for the moment. However, since it is RAID 1 at the bios level,
> thats probally why I'm not seeing tons of message about it missing.
>
> My concern is I am still getting the same error. for the device at sda.
> However, it is a different device was. I have never seen RAID 1 transfer
> bad sector to the mirrored drive. I don't even think that is possible
> since we are talking about a physical defect. . . . . . aren't we?

Are the error messages showing the same physical block?

And moving the drive does nothing, so far as the system knows. Did you use
mdadm to remove the old /dev/sda, before physically removing the drive? If
so, that's rather worrisome, and I'd put the drive back in its original
drive bay, and see if you still get errors.

mark



--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 07-25-2012, 03:52 PM
Jonathan Billings
 
Default FAILED SMART self-check

On Wed, Jul 25, 2012 at 10:19 AM, Robert Canary <
rwcanary@mchn39.ocdirect.net> wrote:

> However, since it is RAID 1 at the bios level, thats probally why I'm not
> seeing tons of message about it missing.
>

Is it a software RAID or hardware RAID? You mentioned the BIOS here, but
you're also mentioned names like 'sda' and 'sdb' which sounds like software
RAID. If it is hardware RAID, what model is it?

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin@umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 07-26-2012, 03:25 AM
Grzegorz Witkowski
 
Default FAILED SMART self-check

It is very possible that you have a corruption on a logical level of RAID1
which may happen. If it happens on disks connected to the hardware
controller you can check the controller log and if both disks show bad
bocks with identical addresses that's what it is and the only way to fix it
is to re-create RAID initialising disks before and running diags to confirm
disks are good. That's bad weakness of RAID 1 unfortunately that it can and
will replicate bads on logical layer.
I hope this will help you.

Regards,
Grzegorz

같같같같같같같같같
Sent from Android
같같같같같같같같같
On Jul 25, 2012 3:18 p.m., "Robert Canary" <rwcanary@mchn39.ocdirect.net>
wrote:

> As I said I *removed* the drive in the sda location.
> I then put the mirrored drive (on sdb) in its place (into sda). Now sdb
> is running in the sda slot.
> I appreciate the suggestion, however, I do understand how RAID 1 works I
> understand what RAID 1 is.
> Yes I do have messages that sdb is missing. I can disregard those
> messages for the moment. However, since it is RAID 1 at the bios level,
> thats probally why I'm not seeing tons of message about it missing.
>
> My concern is I am still getting the same error. for the device at sda.
> However, it is a different device was. I have never seen RAID 1 transfer
> bad sector to the mirrored drive. I don't even think that is possible since
> we are talking about a physical defect. . . . . . aren't we?
>
> Robert Canary
> OCDirect Electrical-Datacomm
> (866) 594-0786 Fax
> (270) 955-0362 Voice
>
> ----- Original Message -----
> > Robert Canary wrote:
> > > Sorry for the confusion.
> > >
> > > Two drives sda and sdb are mirrored with RAID 1
> > > Getting errors on sda.
> > > I removed the sda, and moved sdb into the sda position
> > >
> > > However, I am still getting the same errors on the sda.
> > >
> > First, but based on what you've written, you really need to read up
> > on
> > what RAID 1 *is*.
> >
> > Second, when you say you removed /dev/sda, did you take it out of the
> > box,
> > or just swap positions? If the latter, then a) the system still sees
> > it as
> > sda: that's not something you've made any changed to - the system
> > will
> > look for a LABEL or UUID, b) if you did take it out, and replace it
> > with
> > another, new, physical drive, then there will be RAID messages saying
> > it's
> > rebuilding, and c) if you just took it out, and there's only the one
> > drive, the former /dev/sdb, you will be seeing tons of messages that
> > RAID
> > is degraded.
> >
> > mark
> >
> > >
> > > ----- Original Message -----
> > >> On 07/25/12 07:18, Robert Canary wrote:
> > >> > I have RHEL machine here that becomes so unresponsive the mail
> > >> > server
> > >> > it is hosting practically stops. It is currently running a
> > >> > mirrored
> > >> > drive between sda and sdb. I have been getting the following
> > >> > errors
> > >> > in the log files, so I moved the mirrored drive to sda and
> > >> > disabled
> > >> > the (old) sda. Currently the system seems to be stable again,
> > >> > however, I am still getting these errors.
> > >>
> > >> I'm sorry, but I don't understand what you did. You mention two
> > >> drives,
> > >> and then "the (old) sda". ?
> > >>
> > >> Next, is this RAID 1?
> > >> >
> > >> > Any ideas where to go to fix it. Could it be bad sectors where
> > >> > transferred to the mirrored drive? Running smartmontools-5.3 I
> > >>
> > >> No. Bad sectors are *physical* errors on the platter.
> > >> <snip>
> > >> mark
> > >>
> > >> --
> > >> When was the pleistocene?
> > >> Around 1.8 million years ago, til about 10K years ago.
> > >> What era are we in now?
> > >> Trouble.
> > >>
> > >> --
> > >> redhat-list mailing list
> > >> unsubscribe
> > >> mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> > >> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
> > >>
> > >
> > > --
> > > redhat-list mailing list
> > > unsubscribe
> > > mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> > > https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
> > >
> >
> >
> > --
> > redhat-list mailing list
> > unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> > https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
> >
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 09:55 AM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org