Old 07-12-2012, 01:23 PM
Parvez Shaikh

Default TIPC Kernel Module in Linux

Hi all,

We're using RHEL 5.5. Uname -a gives following output -

Linux xxxxx 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5 #1 SMP Fri May 7 01:43:09 EDT 2010 x86_64
x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

We want to use TIPC on this and for this we need to build TIPC kernel
module, insert module whenever needed.

The question I have is, is it possible to ship kernel modules as rpms?

How to ship pre-built kernel modules without having to build them on target
machines?

Thanks,
Parvez

Old 07-12-2012, 01:38 PM
Corey Kovacs

It certainly is. As long as you package the module for a specific kernel
and enforce adherence you should be fine. If an upgraded kernel is
required, then you'll need to rebuild the module rpm and upgrade that as
well. You'd simply need to have the module rpm require the specific kernel,
and place the binary module in the /lib/modules/<uname -r> dir structure.

There isn't much you can't package using rpm. I've seen a demo of creating
an rpm for an installed baseline oracle instance. You have to know what
oracle is doing and why, but if you have that, it's tedious but not too
hard to package third party stuff.

-C

Old 07-12-2012, 01:44 PM
Marco Shaw

Agreeing with Corey...

You would just need to have a dev/test system where you can build the
module for the specific kernel you are targeting, then can either just
copy the module around as required, or bundle it in a custom RPM...

Marco

Old 07-12-2012, 02:37 PM

Parvez Shaikh wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> We're using RHEL 5.5. Uname -a gives following output -
>
> Linux xxxxx 2.6.18-194.3.1.el5 #1 SMP Fri May 7 01:43:09 EDT 2010 x86_64
> x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux
>
> We want to use TIPC on this and for this we need to build TIPC kernel
> module, insert module whenever needed.
<snip>
Others have answered; I'm going to put in the obvious: you really, really
should update to 5.8, if you have to stay on 5.x. It's what, over two
years since 5.5 was first released, and there've been a *lot* of security
fixes, not just bugfixes.

mark