Old 05-17-2012, 04:01 PM
Rhugga Harper

Default Getting RPC Error 88

We have a 2-node Oracle RAC that keeps getting the following error:
kernel: nfs: RPC call returned error 88

The storage being mounted is netapp. We don't see any errors/issues on the
storage itself or the switches this client is connecting thru. The NFS
network is a 2-interface ( 2 x 1Gb UTP) bond which shows no errors of any
kind.

We are mounting with the following mount options:
rw,noac,nointr,bg,hard,timeo=600,wsize=32768,rsize =32768,nfsvers=3,tcp

This problem sometimes hits the OCR votedisk shares and causes the instance
to crash.

These systems were upgraded to 5.6 back in January.

Currently running 2.6.32-300.4.1.

Thanks for any info,

Old 05-17-2012, 05:11 PM
Adam Miller

It appears you're running Oracle Linux with Oracle's Unbreakable
Enterprise Kernel (UEK) [0] which is not compatible with RHEL's standard
kernel [1] nor is it the kernel that goes through the same level of testing
and compliance as a tier 1 operating system validation with the major
hardware vendors [2]. I would suggest either rebooting into the standard
RHEL compatible kernel (it will be a 2.6.18 kernel), filing a ticket
with Oracle about the issue you're facing, or migrate back to real RHEL

-AdamM

[0] http://public-yum.oracle.com/repo/OracleLinux/OL5/latest/x86_64/kernel-uek-2.6.32-300.4.1.el5uek.x86_64.rpm
[1] http://ftp.redhat.com/redhat/linux/enterprise/5Server/en/os/SRPMS/kernel-2.6.18-308.4.1.el5.src.rpm
[2] http://www.redhat.com/rhel/compatibility/hardware/