Old 08-07-2008, 07:46 AM
Mohsen Pahlevanzadeh

Default Yum

Lanny Marcus wrote:

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 9:07 PM, Jim Perrin <jperrin@gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, Aug 5, 2008 at 5:38 PM, Chris Brentano
<chris.brentano@jivesoftware.com> wrote:

Hmm, it should be there no matter what, even if you deselect all the package
groups on install. Should be at /usr/bin/yum.

You'd think that, however there seems to be a growing (or at least
their users are complaining more vocally on irc) number of VPS
providers using a very stripped down version of centos. They ship it
without yum, which would imply that folks are not able to get basic
security updates via the normal route (if at all).

While I could possibly see excluding the kernel and maybe a few other
packages since it runs a custom built openvz kernel, the entire
removal of yum is extreme, and seems very careless of these VPS
providers.

Not only they cannot do updates. They cannot install additional packages.
If the idea of having a VPS is that it is like having a Dedicated Server,
the people buying those brain dead VPS are getting a very crippled system.

Of course i have installed by hand....

Old 08-07-2008, 02:07 PM
Johnny Hughes