-   -   How do I tell RedHat that I have deleted packages and don't want YUM to put them back (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/663231-how-do-i-tell-redhat-i-have-deleted-packages-dont-want-yum-put-them-back.html)

Rob Tanner 05-04-2012 10:05 PM

How do I tell RedHat that I have deleted packages and don't want YUM to put them back

Hi,

I'm running a web server Enterprise 5.x and it had the distro version (5.1.6) of PHP which, unfortunately, is too old a version for WordPress which requires at least PHP 5.2.x and so I built that from source. The problem I have is when I run updates since the update process will replace the libphp5.so Apache module which, in turn, breaks WordPress. My solution was to erase the distro PHP packages and what I want to make sure is that yum doesn't put them back the next time RedHat updates one of them.

So, is the fact that they're erased sufficient in itself or do I need to run some other program update the machines profile at RedHat?

Thanks,

Rob Tanner
Linfield College

Daniel Tate 05-04-2012 10:57 PM

How do I tell RedHat that I have deleted packages and don't want YUM to put them back

Hi Rob,

Give this a shot:

http://www.cyberciti.biz/faq/rhel-fedora-centos-linux-yum-disable-certain-packages-from-being-installed/

Jonathan Billings 05-05-2012 12:19 PM

On Fri, May 04, 2012 at 10:05:23PM +0000, Rob Tanner wrote:
> I'm running a web server Enterprise 5.x and it had the distro
> version (5.1.6) of PHP which, unfortunately, is too old a version
> for WordPress which requires at least PHP 5.2.x and so I built that
> from source. The problem I have is when I run updates since the
> update process will replace the libphp5.so Apache module which, in
> turn, breaks WordPress. My solution was to erase the distro PHP
> packages and what I want to make sure is that yum doesn't put them
> back the next time RedHat updates one of them.
>
> So, is the fact that they're erased sufficient in itself or do I
> need to run some other program update the machines profile at
> RedHat?

You'll probably be better off not running your own compiled versions
of PHP. If you've got RHEL5 and a current subscription, why don't you
try the 'php53' packages? It provides PHP 5.3.3 and is part of RHEL5,
so you get security updates and API stability.

--
Jonathan Billings <jsbillin@umich.edu>
College of Engineering - CAEN - Unix and Linux Support

Steve Phillips 05-11-2012 01:37 AM

How do I tell RedHat that I have deleted packages and don't want YUM to put them back

Hey Rob,

You might also be interested in
http://www.mnxsolutions.com/apache/centos5-and-php52-upgrade-rpms.html

I recently upgraded to RHEL6 for similar reasons that you describe, and
then found that there were php52 RPMS available that would happily install
instead of the stock php rpms.

Hope this helps.

--
Steve.

Mark Romer 05-11-2012 12:47 PM

How do I tell RedHat that I have deleted packages and don't want YUM to put them back

in your /etc/yum.conf put in an exclude line like this...
that matches your package name

exclude=ImageMagick*

Mark