Old 03-30-2012, 02:41 PM
Christina Salls

Default Live upgrade from RHEL 5.7 to RHEL 6.2

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> Christina Salls wrote:

> I can
> <snip>
> <snip>
> > Oh, one more question: are you running at runlevel 3 or 5?
> >> <snip>
>
> > I am running at 5.
>
> AH! The light begins to dawn, possibly. Have you looked at
> /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
>
> Hi Mark,

I moved it out of the way in run level 3 and tried to startx

[root@panther X11]# startx
xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.11796

X.Org X Server 1.10.4
Release Date: 2011-08-19
X Protocol Version 11, Revision 0
Build Operating System: x86-004 2.6.18-274.3.1.el5
Current Operating System: Linux panther 2.6.32-220.el6.x86_64 #1 SMP Wed
Nov 9 08:03:13 EST 2011 x86_64
Kernel command line: ro root=LABEL=sgiroot vga=0x317 console=ttyS1,115200n8
console=tty0 crashkernel=128M@16M SYSFONT=latarcyrheb-sun16
LANG=en_US.UTF-8 KEYTABLE=us
Build Date: 20 October 2011 12:03:36PM
Build ID: xorg-x11-server 1.10.4-6.el6
Current version of pixman: 0.18.4
Before reporting problems, check https://www.redhat.com/apps/support/
(++) from command line, (!!) notice, (II) informational,
(==) Log file: "/var/log/Xorg.0.log", Time: Fri Mar 30 10:37:08 2012
(==) Using default built-in configuration (30 lines)
(EE) MGA(0): [drm] Direct rendering only supported with G200/G400/G450/G550.
expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadOn: line 120 of inet
expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadOff: line 121 of inet
(EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so:
/usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so: undefined symbol:
xf86GetMotionEvents
(EE) LoadModule: Module evdev does not have a evdevModuleData data object.
(EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (invalid module, 0)
(EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
(EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (15)
[...]
gnome-session[11899]: WARNING: Could not make bus activated clients aware
of DISPLAY=:0.0 environment variable: An SELinux policy prevents this
sender from sending this message to this recipient (rejected message had
sender "(unset)" interface "org.freedesktop.DBus" member "Hello" error name
"(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.DBus")
gnome-session[11899]: WARNING: Could not make bus activated clients aware
of GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=this-is-deprecated environment variable: An
of SESSION_MANAGER=local/unix:@/tmp/.ICE-unix/11899,unix/unix:/tmp/.ICE-unix/11899
environment variable: An SELinux policy prevents this sender from sending
this message to this recipient (rejected message had sender "(unset)"
interface "org.freedesktop.DBus" member "Hello" error name "(unset)"
destination "org.freedesktop.DBus")

Now my session is hung.

> mark

Christina A. Salls
GLERL Computer Group
help.glerl@noaa.gov
Help Desk x2127
Christina.Salls@noaa.gov
Voice Mail 734-741-2446

Old 03-30-2012, 05:31 PM

Christina Salls wrote:
> On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:53 AM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:
>> Christina Salls wrote:

>> <snip>
>> <snip>
>> > Oh, one more question: are you running at runlevel 3 or 5?
>>
>> > I am running at 5.
>>
>> AH! The light begins to dawn, possibly. Have you looked at
>> /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
>>
> I moved it out of the way in run level 3 and tried to startx
>
> [root@panther X11]# startx
> xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.11796
<snip>
> (EE) MGA(0): [drm] Direct rendering only supported with
> G200/G400/G450/G550.

Um?

> expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadOn: line 120 of inet
> expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadOff: line 121 of inet
> (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so:
> /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so: undefined symbol:
> xf86GetMotionEvents
> (EE) LoadModule: Module evdev does not have a evdevModuleData data object.
> (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (invalid module, 0)
> (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
> (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (15)
> (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so:
> /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so: undefined symbol:
<snip>
EE is *not* good.

> (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (15)
> gnome-session[11899]: WARNING: Could not make bus activated clients aware
> of DISPLAY=:0.0 environment variable: An SELinux policy prevents this
> sender from sending this message to this recipient (rejected message had
> sender "(unset)" interface "org.freedesktop.DBus" member "Hello" error
> name
> "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.DBus")
> gnome-session[11899]: WARNING: Could not make bus activated clients aware
> of GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=this-is-deprecated environment variable: An
> SELinux policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this
> recipient (rejected message had sender "(unset)" interface
> "org.freedesktop.DBus" member "Hello" error name "(unset)" destination
> "org.freedesktop.DBus")
> gnome-session[11899]: WARNING: Could not make bus activated clients aware
> of
<snip>
> Now my session is hung.

Of *course* it is, you're being "protected" by selinux!

Question 0: do you require selinux enforcing?

Test to see if you can boot by bringing up the box in permissive or
disabled mode.

That being said, I'm not sure that selinux is the only problem - those
missing symbols seem to indicate that something was either touched, or
installed, from another repo that conflicts with the repo that you
installed the o/s from.

mark

Old 03-30-2012, 05:54 PM
Christina Salls

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 1:31 PM, <m.roth@5-cent.us> wrote:

> Christina Salls wrote:

> seems as though it
> >> <snip>
> >> <snip>

> >> AH! The light begins to dawn, possibly. Have you looked at
> >> /etc/X11/xorg.conf?
> >>
> > I moved it out of the way in run level 3 and tried to startx
> >
> > [root@panther X11]# startx
> > xauth: creating new authority file /root/.serverauth.11796
> <snip>
> > (EE) MGA(0): [drm] Direct rendering only supported with
> > G200/G400/G450/G550.
>
> Um?
>
> > expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadOn: line 120 of inet
> > expected keysym, got XF86TouchpadOff: line 121 of inet
> > (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so:
> > /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so: undefined symbol:
> > xf86GetMotionEvents
> > (EE) LoadModule: Module evdev does not have a evdevModuleData data
> object.
> > (EE) Failed to load module "evdev" (invalid module, 0)
> > (EE) No input driver matching `evdev'
> > (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (15)
> > (EE) Failed to load /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so:
> > /usr/lib64/xorg/modules/input/evdev_drv.so: undefined symbol:
> <snip>
> EE is *not* good.
>
> > (EE) config/hal: NewInputDeviceRequest failed (15)
> > gnome-session[11899]: WARNING: Could not make bus activated clients aware
> > of DISPLAY=:0.0 environment variable: An SELinux policy prevents this
> > sender from sending this message to this recipient (rejected message had
> > sender "(unset)" interface "org.freedesktop.DBus" member "Hello" error
> > name
> > "(unset)" destination "org.freedesktop.DBus")
> > gnome-session[11899]: WARNING: Could not make bus activated clients aware
> > of GNOME_DESKTOP_SESSION_ID=this-is-deprecated environment variable: An
> > SELinux policy prevents this sender from sending this message to this
> > recipient (rejected message had sender "(unset)" interface
> > "org.freedesktop.DBus" member "Hello" error name "(unset)" destination
> > "org.freedesktop.DBus")
> > gnome-session[11899]: WARNING: Could not make bus activated clients aware
> > of
> <snip>
> > Now my session is hung.
>
> Of *course* it is, you're being "protected" by selinux!
>
> Question 0: do you require selinux enforcing?
>
> Test to see if you can boot by bringing up the box in permissive or
> disabled mode.
>
> That being said, I'm not sure that selinux is the only problem - those
> missing symbols seem to indicate that something was either touched, or
> installed, from another repo that conflicts with the repo that you
> installed the o/s from.
>
> I think that is a good clue. The original RHEL 5.7 installation also
included SGI Foundation. I have not upgraded that with the "get one thing
working at a time" philosophy. I am not so sure that was the right
approach. I have a spare disk to experiment with, so I actually have my
original safely on a shelf. I am considering installing 6.2 from scratch,
and trying to get the cluster manager software configured from scratch as
well. Ambitious, but I think upgrade in place has it's own set of problems
that might cascade one into the next. I will disable SElinux and see what
I find out, but I am sure you are right. That is not my only problem.
Thanks for looking at this. I appreciate your time. I will probably give
this a bit more time and see what trouble I can get into with a fresh
install.

Christina

> mark

Christina A. Salls
GLERL Computer Group
help.glerl@noaa.gov
Help Desk x2127
Christina.Salls@noaa.gov
Voice Mail 734-741-2446

Old 03-30-2012, 06:47 PM
Georgios Magklaras

OK, the fact that tty1 is absent is indicative of a problem. BTW, the
/etc/inittab file is now consulted by the system only for defining the
default runlevel, the rest is history there:

http://docs.redhat.com/docs/en-US/Red_Hat_Enterprise_Linux/6/html/Technical_Notes/deployment.html

Here is how I would troubleshoot the problem.

1)To ensure you are not facing an X problem (I see you are runlevel 5),
I would switch the system to runlevel 3, SELinux should be in permissive
mode (/etc/sysconfig/selinux) and reboot, so that you can see what
exactly happens on the console without X and SELinux (if you have
already described that sorry, I did not have the time to read all the
thread).

2)If you do not see anything, I would SSH in and inspect the file
/etc/init/start-ttys.conf, which in my functioning system looks like this:

[root@biotin ~]# cat /etc/init/start-ttys.conf
#
# This service starts the configured number of gettys.

start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=[2345]

env ACTIVE_CONSOLES=/dev/tty[1-6]
env X_TTY=/dev/tty1
task
script
. /etc/sysconfig/init
for tty in $(echo $ACTIVE_CONSOLES) ; do
[ "$RUNLEVEL" = "5" -a "$tty" = "$X_TTY" ] && continue
initctl start tty TTY=$tty
done
end script

3)Inspect the file /etc/init/serial.conf which in my system contains:
start on fedora.serial-console-available DEV=* and stopped rc
RUNLEVEL=[2345]

stop on runlevel [S016]

instance $DEV
respawn
pre-start exec /sbin/securetty $DEV
exec /sbin/agetty /dev/$DEV $SPEED vt100-nav

4)I would open another ssh session as root and do manually a:
[root@biotin ~]# initctl start tty TTY=tty1
tty (tty1) start/running, process 22670

If something goes wrong in step 4, the process will even not spawn or
will spawn and die for a reason and you should consult either
/var/log/messages or /var/log/secure.

GM

Best regards,

George Magklaras PhD
RHCE no: 805008309135525

Senior Systems Engineer/IT Manager
Biotechnology Center of Oslo and
the Norwegian Center for Molecular Medicine
EMBnet TMPC Chair

http://folk.uio.no/georgios

Tel: +47 22840535

On 03/30/2012 03:55 PM, Christina Salls wrote:

On Fri, Mar 30, 2012 at 9:21 AM, Georgios Magklaras<georgios@biotek.uio.no>

Thanks for your response.

wrote:

Do you see the login banner at the console after the boot messages?

No, I do see a graphical login window, but no banner.

Has the system forked the /sbin/mingetty processes?

Interesting. no tty1

[root@panther tmp]# ps -ef | grep mingetty
root 2958 5831 0 09:44 pts/0 00:00:00 grep mingetty
root 4719 1 0 Mar29 tty2 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty /dev/tty2
root 4721 1 0 Mar29 tty3 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty /dev/tty3
root 4723 1 0 Mar29 tty4 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty /dev/tty4
root 4725 1 0 Mar29 tty5 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty /dev/tty5
root 4727 1 0 Mar29 tty6 00:00:00 /sbin/mingetty /dev/tty6

One thing that comes to mind with RHEL 6 is the upstart module. In RHEL 6
this replaced the traditional SysVInit system. So, I suggest you take a
look via the network login to:

1)ACTIVE_CONSOLES directive in /etc/sysconfig/init.

# What ttys should gettys be started on?
ACTIVE_CONSOLES=/dev/tty[1-6]
# Set to '/sbin/sulogin' to prompt for password on single-user mode
# Set to '/sbin/sushell' otherwise
SINGLE=/sbin/sushell

2)/etc/init/prefdm.conf

[root@panther init]# more prefdm.conf
# prefdm - preferred display manager
#
# Starts gdm/xdm/etc by preference

start on stopped rc RUNLEVEL=5

stop on starting rc RUNLEVEL=[!5]

console output
respawn
respawn limit 10 120
exec /etc/X11/prefdm -nodaemon

3)/etc/init/tty.conf

[root@panther init]# more tty.conf
# tty - getty
#
# This service maintains a getty on the specified device.

stop on runlevel [S016]

respawn
instance $TTY
exec /sbin/mingetty $TTY

Also, this is what inittab looks like:

id:5:initdefault:

# System initialization.
si::sysinit:/etc/rc.d/rc.sysinit

l0:0:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 0
l1:1:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 1
l2:2:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 2
l3:3:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 3
l4:4:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 4
l5:5:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 5
l6:6:wait:/etc/rc.d/rc 6

# Trap CTRL-ALT-DELETE
ca::ctrlaltdel:/sbin/shutdown -t3 -r now

# When our UPS tells us power has failed, assume we have a few minutes
# of power left. Schedule a shutdown for 2 minutes from now.
# This does, of course, assume you have powerd installed and your
# UPS connected and working correctly.
pf:owerfail:/sbin/shutdown -f -h +2 "Power Failure; System Shutting Down"

# If power was restored before the shutdown kicked in, cancel it.
pr:12345owerokwait:/sbin/shutdown -c "Power Restored; Shutdown Cancelled"

# Run gettys in standard runlevels
cons:12345:respawn:/sbin/agetty -L `stty -F /dev/ttyS1 speed` ttyS1 vt100
1:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty1
2:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty2
3:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty3
4:2345:respawn:/sbin/mingetty tty4