Old 02-28-2012, 11:08 PM
unix syzadmin

Default The Redhat linux reboot puts me into a maintenance shell because disks are discovered and name differently.

Hi,

We are put into a maintenance shell after a red-hat linux restart.
The error message on the console is:

***** excerpt of error message ****

/dev/mapper/rootvg-opt.vol ismounted. e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
/dev/mapper/rootvg-tmp.vol is mounted. e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
/dev/mapper/rootvg-usr.vol is mounted. e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.
/dev/mapper/rootvg-var.vol is mounted. e2fsck: Cannot continue, aborting.

*** An error occurred during the file system check.
*** Dropping you to a shell; the system will reboot
*** when you leave the shell.
Give root password for maintenance
(or type Control-D to continue):

***** End ****

Details:
We install redhat linux on raid5 device created on the local internal SAS
disk.

This disk is normally detected as /dev/sda. There is a 500M /boot
partition called /dev/sda1. The remaining space is used to define the
OS/rootvg volume group on which the OS logical volumes / file-systems like
/, /var, /usr, /opt & /tmp are present.

We also have EMC SAN storage zoned. These LUNs are used to build the user
/ application volume groups and file-systems.

The problem; I guess is that the system is discovering & naming the disks
in different order everytime the server is rebooted. For example the
/dev/sda which represents the raid5 device created on local internal SAS
disk is discovered as /dev/sdew ... and I guess this is the reason I am
being dropped into the maintenance shell. I tell this because after I
login to the maintenance shell I see that the /dev/sda represents a 500G
SAN disk instead of a 600G internal disk. The internal disk is named
/dev/sdew and if I disconnect the fibre cables; the server boots just
fine.

Is there a way to make sure that the disks are named consistently across
reboots?
Please suggest or point me in the right direction.

Thanks,

Old 02-28-2012, 11:59 PM
Sam Findo

In RHEL 5 same as RHEL 6 you can get the UUID by using blkid.