-   -   Link detected: no but link plugged (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/636984-link-detected-no-but-link-plugged.html)

GouNiNi Geekarea 02-24-2012 08:36 AM

Link detected: no but link plugged

Hi,

# ethtool eth4 | grep "Link detected"
Link detected: no

# ifconfig eth4 up && sleep 2 && ethtool eth4 | grep "Link detected"
Link detected: yes

Maybe this is normal, but my link was plugged before my first command.
For me, link detected means "link is plugged". For ethtool, it means "link is plugged and interface is up".

Do you think my understood is wrong or it is ethtool words ?

.`'`. GouNiNi
: ': :
`. ` .` GNU/Linux
`'` http://www.geekarea.fr

Grzegorz Witkowski 02-24-2012 09:19 PM

On Feb 24, 2012 9:41 a.m., "GouNiNi Geekarea" <gounini@geekarea.fr> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> # ethtool eth4 | grep "Link detected"
> Link detected: no
>
> # ifconfig eth4 up && sleep 2 && ethtool eth4 | grep "Link detected"
> Link detected: yes
>
> Maybe this is normal, but my link was plugged before my first command.
> For me, link detected means "link is plugged". For ethtool, it means
"link is plugged and interface is up".

> Do you think my understood is wrong or it is ethtool words ?
>
> Regards,
>
> --
> .`'`. GouNiNi
> : ': :
> `. ` .` GNU/Linux
> `'` http://www.geekarea.fr

Plugged does not mean the link must be up. Interfaces need to negotiate
link parameters. Once negotiation is complete and sucessful, the link is up.

Grzegorz