Old 02-06-2012, 11:16 AM
redhatter

Default "top" shows different CPU usage than "ps faux"

Hi,

I just noticed that "top" shows a CPU usage percentage markedly
different than "ps faux" for example.

In this case, a java process running at 433% in "ps faux" is shown as
runnging at 661.4% in "top"

Both programs get their data from the /proc filesystem I imagine, so
there could be a summation bug in either of them.

Or is there some rational explanation?

Best reagrds,

-- David

Old 02-07-2012, 07:09 AM
"Mertens, Bram"

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

> I just noticed that "top" shows a CPU usage percentage markedly
> different than "ps faux" for example.
>
> In this case, a java process running at 433% in "ps faux" is shown as
> runnging at 661.4% in "top"
>
> Both programs get their data from the /proc filesystem I imagine, so
> there could be a summation bug in either of them.
>
> Or is there some rational explanation?
>
> Best reagrds,

Just a guess but doesn't ps show a point in time while top shows an average of the last X seconds?

Regards

Bram