Old 02-04-2012, 06:54 PM
unix syzadmin

Default Regarding GFS

Hi,

I have not worked on GFS before, but i am given additional resposibilities
to support the existing GFS clusters and model the news ones after them.

While I am currently going through the redhat documentation; I wanted
explore other avenues for quick help on precisely documenting how the
existing GPFS clusters are setup.

The current setup has 3 Linux nodes running RHEL4 Update 7, all of them are
allocated the same storage and access to the same GFS file-systems.

I am not sure if this is setup like a cluster and if can sustain a disk or
a node failure.

Please point or suggest me in the right direction.

Thanks.

Old 02-05-2012, 02:12 AM
raj sourabh

Hi,

Node redundancy on redhat cluster depends on how cluster has been
configured. VIP has to be configured for node level redundancy.

It seems ,in your setup all the three nodes access same storage and GFS has
been setup in the same. GFS allows concurent access to same disk from
different nodes. However disk level redundancy has to be taken care from
the storage side.

Hope this helps.

Regards

Old 02-05-2012, 06:37 PM
unix syzadmin

Hi,

Thanks. The nodes don't have any VIP (Virtual IP) configured.

Each of the nodes run "gfs" and "fenced" service.

The type of storage is EMC, and if each node has to be able to access the
same disk simultaneously the SCSI reserves should be turned off. I am not
able to determine how the SCSI reserve's have been turned off and the
parameters on which the nodes are fenced.

# more /etc/redhat-release
Red Hat Enterprise Linux AS release 4 (Nahant Update 7)

# rpm -qa | egrep -i 'gfs|fence'
GFS-6.1.18-1
GFS-kernel-smp-2.6.9-80.9.el4_7.5
fence-1.32.63-1
GFS-kernheaders-2.6.9-80.9.el4_7.5

Thanks,

Old 02-14-2012, 07:42 AM
"white.heron white"

Global File System (GFS) is a shared disk file system for Linux computer clusters. This is not to be confused with the Google File System (also called GFS), a proprietary distributed filesystem developed by Google.

GFS and GFS2 differ from distributed file systems (such as AFS, Coda, or InterMezzo) because they allow all nodes to have direct concurrent access to the same shared block storage. In addition, GFS or GFS2 can also be used as a local filesystem.

GFS has no disconnected operating-mode, and no client or server roles. All nodes in a GFS cluster function as peers. Using GFS in a cluster requires hardware to allow access to the shared storage, and a lock manager to control access to the storage. The lock manager operates as a separate module: thus GFS and GFS2 can use the Distributed Lock Manager (DLM) for cluster configurations and the "nolock" lock manager for local filesystems. Older versions of GFS also support GULM, a server based lock manager which implements redundancy via failover.

*
Regards,

MOHAMMAD ADLI BIN MT TAJUDIN
WEST MALAYSIA.