Old 01-03-2012, 03:32 PM
cliff here

Default Libvirtd errors

So came into the office this morning, found out that
/var/lib/libvirtd/qemu/saves was symlinked and the contents deleted. Now
I'm experiencing all sorts of flakiness aside from the fact that the
machine save states are GONE! I have the original .img files for the
virtual hosts is there a way to salvage this given what has happened or is
this developer SOL?

Here is the output of /var/log/messages during a libvirtd restart

Jan 3 09:11:10 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:10.983: warning :
qemudDispatchSignalEvent:402 : Shutting down on signal 15
Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.154: error :
virRunWithHook:856 : internal error '/sbin/iptables --table filter --delete
INPUT --in-interface virbr0 --protocol udp --destination-port 69 --jump
ACCEPT' exited with non-zero status 1 and signal 0: iptables: Bad rule
(does a matching rule exist in that chain?)
Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.220: error :
halDeviceMonitorStartup:726 : dbus_bus_get failed
Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.221: error :
halDeviceMonitorStartup:794 : org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound:
Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file
or directory
Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.280: warning :
qemudStartup:1667 : Unable to create cgroup for driver: No such device or
address
Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.291: error :
virDomainDefParseXML:4313 : unknown OS type hvm
Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.291: error :
virDomainDefParseXML:4313 : unknown OS type hvm
Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.292: error :
virDomainDefParseXML:4313 : unknown OS type hvm

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.

Old 01-03-2012, 03:55 PM

cliff here wrote:
> So came into the office this morning, found out that
> /var/lib/libvirtd/qemu/saves was symlinked and the contents deleted. Now
> I'm experiencing all sorts of flakiness aside from the fact that the
> machine save states are GONE! I have the original .img files for the
> virtual hosts is there a way to salvage this given what has happened or is
> this developer SOL?

What, no backups on his directories?

> Here is the output of /var/log/messages during a libvirtd restart
>
> Jan 3 09:11:10 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:10.983: warning :
> qemudDispatchSignalEvent:402 : Shutting down on signal 15
> Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.154: error :
> virRunWithHook:856 : internal error '/sbin/iptables --table filter
> --delete
> INPUT --in-interface virbr0 --protocol udp --destination-port 69 --jump
> ACCEPT' exited with non-zero status 1 and signal 0: iptables: Bad rule
> (does a matching rule exist in that chain?)

This is bad, and you need to find out why it's happening. Did that error
ever show up before? If not, what changed or added a rule that's broken?
<snip>
mark

Old 01-03-2012, 05:44 PM
cliff here

Well virt-manager is acting funny.. not sure if it has anything to do with
the iptables error or more-so to the dbus_bus_get failed error. I can't
even create new VMs from scratch.

Old 01-03-2012, 06:04 PM
cliff here

So, it looks like installed a new kernel. so whats' the correlation between
the kernel libvirtd is originally installed with and a new one...

Old 01-04-2012, 03:27 AM
Cameron Simpson

On 03Jan2012 11:32, cliff here <c4ifford@gmail.com> wrote:
| So came into the office this morning, found out that
| /var/lib/libvirtd/qemu/saves was symlinked and the contents deleted.

Weird. What's the symlink point to? Might someone have moved the save
states to another partition, something I'm considering doing on our VM
servers?

If the symlink is bogus, have you tried removing it and making an empty
"save" dir again? Mine here is empty, publicly readable and owned by
qemu:qemu:

[qemu/save]#root@gammak11*> ls -la /var/lib/libvirt/qemu/save
total 0K
drwxr-xr-x. 2 qemu qemu 6 Sep 6 22:48 .
drwxr-x---. 5 qemu qemu 94 Jan 3 17:29 ..

so there's no funny internal structure to worry about.

| Now
| I'm experiencing all sorts of flakiness aside from the fact that the
| machine save states are GONE!

What sort of flakiness? I would guess that there is more damage than
just this missing directory.

| I have the original .img files for the
| virtual hosts is there a way to salvage this given what has happened or is
| this developer SOL?

I'd have thought having the .img files is enough. Make a new VM using
those .img files. MAKE SURE you don't reinitialise the disc images!
Probably a good idea to back them up by hand first, example:

rsync -aSP foo.img /path/to/backups/foo.img

The "S" is important, to copy sparse files.

| Here is the output of /var/log/messages during a libvirtd restart
|
| Jan 3 09:11:10 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:10.983: warning :
| qemudDispatchSignalEvent:402 : Shutting down on signal 15
| Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.154: error :
| virRunWithHook:856 : internal error '/sbin/iptables --table filter --delete
| INPUT --in-interface virbr0 --protocol udp --destination-port 69 --jump
| ACCEPT' exited with non-zero status 1 and signal 0: iptables: Bad rule
| (does a matching rule exist in that chain?)

I'll let Mr Roth address these; out of my expertise, but it looks like
the per-VM rules are already scrubbed. This may get fixed during
libvirtd startup. Does it repeat if you do another stop-then-start?

| Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.220: error :
| halDeviceMonitorStartup:726 : dbus_bus_get failed
| Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.221: error :
| halDeviceMonitorStartup:794 : org.freedesktop.DBus.Error.FileNotFound:
| Failed to connect to socket /var/run/dbus/system_bus_socket: No such file
| or directory

Is dbus running?

| Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.280: warning :
| qemudStartup:1667 : Unable to create cgroup for driver: No such device or
| address
| Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.291: error :
| virDomainDefParseXML:4313 : unknown OS type hvm
| Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.291: error :
| virDomainDefParseXML:4313 : unknown OS type hvm
| Jan 3 09:11:11 DOTSDEVFW libvirtd: 09:11:11.292: error :
| virDomainDefParseXML:4313 : unknown OS type hvm

No idea here, myself.

But I'm pretty sure more than your save state symlink is damaged.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

It was a joke, OK? If we thought it would actually be used, we wouldn't have
written it! - Marc Andreessen on the creation of a <blink> tag