Old 12-14-2011, 04:23 PM
"LaBelle, Stephen"

Default Will Oracle ever be certified for Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6?

Hello All,

Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 6 has been available now for about 1 year.

To my knowledge there are no Oracle Products certified for RHEL6?

I know that Oracle is strongly encouraging people to move to Oracle Linux.

Does anyone know if Oracle will ever be certified for RHEL6?

Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Steve

Stephen L. LaBelle
Metropolitan State College of Denver
Senior System Administrator
Unix and Linux Team
labelles@mscd.edu<mailto:labelles@mscd.edu>

Old 12-14-2011, 04:32 PM

LaBelle, Stephen wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 6 has been available now for about 1
> year.
>
> To my knowledge there are no Oracle Products certified for RHEL6?
>
> I know that Oracle is strongly encouraging people to move to Oracle
> Linux.
>
> Does anyone know if Oracle will ever be certified for RHEL6?
>
> Any information anyone has would be greatly appreciated.

I'd not be waiting for that, given that:
a) Oracle Linux is reworked RHEL, and
b) RH made huge changes to its build system, explicitly
to address that, making it that much harder for
Oracle (and, incidentally, our own beloved CentOS)
to build the current versions.

mark

Old 12-14-2011, 04:38 PM
Aaron Bliss

The last I checked (a month or so ago), OEL 6 wasn't on the matrix
either either and I can't see how OEL 6 can gain certification without
certifying REL 6...

http://www.orafaq.com/wiki/Oracle_Enterprise_Linux

"OEL is 100% compatible with Red Hat Linux"

I'm not sure how others have approached OEL versus REL, however our
organization long ago standardized on REL (with some CentOS dev systems)
and has no plans of changing even on our Oracle database tiers...
something doesn't taste right by essentially copying someone else's work
and then attempting to charge for it.

Aaron

Old 12-14-2011, 05:40 PM
"LaBelle, Stephen"

Hello,

I am not waiting around.

I am just trying to find out if Oracle will ever be certified for RHEL6.

Old 12-15-2011, 02:21 AM
Barry Brimer

Does anyone know if Oracle will ever be certified for RHEL6?

<https://www.redhat.com/about/news/blog/Red-Hat-Submits-Oracle-11gR2-on-Red-Hat-Enterprise-Linux-6-Certification-Test-Results-to-Oracle>

Old 01-04-2012, 03:22 PM
Adam Miller

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 09:21:59PM -0600, Barry Brimer wrote:
> >Does anyone know if Oracle will ever be certified for RHEL6?

This isn't any form or fashion official support, but there's at least
being work done by someone to make it work. No idea what this will mean
for future official support.

http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2012/01/03/dell-engineering-preview-oracle-11gr2-rac-on-rhel6.aspx

Happy hacking,
-AdamM

Old 01-04-2012, 05:00 PM

Adam Miller wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 09:21:59PM -0600, Barry Brimer wrote:
>> >Does anyone know if Oracle will ever be certified for RHEL6?
>

> This isn't any form or fashion official support, but there's at least
> being work done by someone to make it work. No idea what this will mean
> for future official support.
>
> http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/b/techcenter/archive/2012/01/03/dell-engineering-preview-oracle-11gr2-rac-on-rhel6.aspx

Sun will push as hard as possible to move to proprietary - remember, they
bought Sun, too, and I haven't looked, but if they're not pushing
ex-Sun/OBL as hard as they can, I'll chow down on this sticky note on my
desk.

Still, they know that it's not going to happen, that everyone will go that
way (look at M$). Since RH is the biggest dog in the US market, I expect
that sooner or later, they'll support it. Maybe they'll hold off for six
months, to get even for RH obfuscating the build environment for 6.0, to
prevent Oracle from grabbing it.

mark

Old 03-28-2012, 07:08 AM
Chi Chan

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:23 PM, LaBelle, Stephen <labelles@mscd.edu> wrote:
> Red Hat Enterprise Linux version 6 has been available now for about 1 year.
>
> To my knowledge there are no Oracle Products certified for RHEL6?

Stephen,

In case you haven't noticed yet, Oracle announced certification of
Oracle Database on Oracle Linux 6 and Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6 this
month:

http://www.oracle.com/us/corporate/press/1563775

> I know that Oracle is strongly encouraging *people to move to Oracle Linux.

>From what I've heard from my friends who attended the Oracle Linux
Online Forum yesterday (Mar 26), Oracle is not using Oracle DB and its
middleware stack to attract users to Oracle Linux. Rather, Oracle
said that they are improving Oracle Linux so that it is cheaper and
and the systems perform better with Oracle Enterprise Linux. In the
webcast, Oracle mentioned that the main differences between Oracle
Linux and RHEL are:

1. Oracle Linux is free for deployment and redistribution (RHEL is not free)
2. Oracle offers the Unbreakable Enterprise Kernel, which is newer and
has Oracle's own improvements
3. KSplice is only available for Oracle Linux paying customers (free
trial signup: http://www.ksplice.com/rhel-signup )
4. Support cost is lower, and Oracle specifically pointed out that one
can run as many virtual guests and the cost is still the same.

It would be great if Red Hat can leapfrog Oracle this round (in the
end, free software enables companies leapfrogging each other). It is
better than Redhat obfuscating the kernel source - as far as I know,
CentOS 6 was affected by this but Oracle Linux 6 was shipped within 2
weeks following the introduction of RHEL 6. In fact, there are now
over 8500 organisations paying for Oracle Linux support and running on
non-Oracle hardware (Oracle said that Oracle Linux support is included
with Oracle hardware and thus they did not count them as paying
customers).

How many new Oracle Linux paying customers were CentOS users who were
mad because Red Hat was trying to lock them in?

Not only was I not happy, but there were articles written about this too:

http://www.channelregister.co.uk/2011/03/04/red_hat_twarts_oracle_and_novell_with_change_to_so urce_code_packaging/

--Chi