-   -   Network interfaces not reachable (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/610129-network-interfaces-not-reachable.html)

Bob Sauvage 12-14-2011 03:34 PM

Network interfaces not reachable

Hello *,

I've configured my two network interfaces : ETH0 and ETH1. ETH1 has 3
subinterfaces.

When I restart my server or just the network by 'service network
restart', my networks interfaces are no longer reachable.

I have to stop ETH0 and after ETH1. Then, I restart ETH1, I stop
ETH1:xxx1 and then the network is reachable. And finaly, I can restart
my ETH1:xxx1.

I feel like I have to restart interfaces in a certain order.

Do you have any ideas ?

Thanks in advance,

12-14-2011 03:41 PM

Bob Sauvage wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> I've configured my two network interfaces : ETH0 and ETH1. ETH1 has 3
> subinterfaces.
>
> When I restart my server or just the network by 'service network
> restart', my networks interfaces are no longer reachable.
>
> I have to stop ETH0 and after ETH1. Then, I restart ETH1, I stop
> ETH1:xxx1 and then the network is reachable. And finaly, I can restart
> my ETH1:xxx1.
>
> I feel like I have to restart interfaces in a certain order.

Is this CentOS 5.7 or 6? Have you looked in
/etc/udev/rules.d/70-persistant-net,rules, to see if something's out of
whack?

mark

Marco Shaw 12-14-2011 03:42 PM

Network interfaces not reachable

Hi,

Can you further define "not reachable" with exact details?

Marco

On Wed, Dec 14, 2011 at 12:34 PM, Bob Sauvage <bob.sauvage@gmx.fr> wrote:
> Hello *,
>
> I've configured my two network interfaces : ETH0 and ETH1. ETH1 has 3
> subinterfaces.
>
> When I restart my server or just the network by 'service network restart',
> my networks interfaces are no longer reachable.
>
> I have to stop ETH0 and after ETH1. Then, I restart ETH1, I stop ETH1:xxx1
> and then the network is reachable. And finaly, I can restart my ETH1:xxx1.
>
> I feel like I have to restart interfaces in a certain order.
>
> Do you have any ideas ?
>
> Thanks in advance,

*Microsoft MVP - Windows PowerShell
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Marco.Shaw
*Co-Author - Sams Windows PowerShell Unleashed 2nd Edition
*Blog - http://marcoshaw.blogspot.com

Frank Cui 12-14-2011 07:58 PM

Network interfaces not reachable

As a workround, u can automate your interface restart procedure on rc.local file.

And for troubleshooting, you need to put your interface config and script in the list so that we can analyze it, it's easier for us than just to predict what the actual problem is.

Thanks
FrankCui

Sent from my iPod

Bob Sauvage 12-15-2011 09:59 AM

Network interfaces not reachable

Hello,

Firtst of all, thanks a lot for your responses.

1. @Marco : I mean by 'not reachable' that nether my local network,
nether the internet can ping my network interfaces.

2. @Mark : I use RHEL 6, I will look in '70-persistant-net'.

3. @FrankCui : Here my network interfaces config :

*ETH0 : *

BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST={PUBLIC BROADCAST IP}
DEVICE=eth0
HWADDR=00:1B:21:30:48:1E
IPADDR={PUBLIC IP}
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
NETWORK={PUBLIC NETWORK IP}
NM_CONTROLLED=no
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

*ETH1 : *

BOOTPROTO=none
BROADCAST={PUBLIC BROADCAST IP}
DEFROUTE=yes
DEVICE=eth1
GATEWAY={PUBLIC GATEWAY IP}
HWADDR=00:15:17:89:31:48
IPADDR={PUBLIC IP}
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NETMASK=255.255.255.224
NETWORK={PUBLIC NETWORK IP}
NM_CONTROLLED=no
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

*ETH1:XXX1 :* (all subinterfaces are on the same network but different
from the network of ETH0 and ETH1)

BOOTPROTO=none
DEVICE=eth1:XXX1
IPADDR={PUBLIC IP}
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

*ETH1:XXX2 :*

BOOTPROTO=none
DEVICE=eth1:XX2
IPADDR={PUBLIC IP}
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

*ETH1:XXX3 :*

BOOTPROTO=none
DEVICE=eth1:XXX3
IPADDR={PUBLIC IP}
IPV4_FAILURE_FATAL=yes
IPV6INIT=no
NM_CONTROLLED=no
ONBOOT=yes
TYPE=Ethernet

*ETH2 : *

DEVICE="eth2"
HWADDR="00:15:17:89:31:49"
NM_CONTROLLED="yes"
ONBOOT="no"

"white.heron white" 12-15-2011 12:42 PM

Network interfaces not reachable

Dear All,

For your information. If the RHEL server setup within local area network. You may either configure each Network Interface card by:

1) Receiving IP address from nearest DHCP server appliance e.g network switches
2) Manual. By allocate exactly. Static IP address for each Network Interface card.

For manually configured static IP Address. You may refer the following command:

$ ifconfig eth0 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy up
$*ifconfig eth1 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy up
$*ifconfig *eth2 xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx netmask yyy.yyy.yyy.yyy up

*
where xxx = IPv4 static ip address
and yyy = IPV4 netmask ip address.

Regards,