Old 12-08-2011, 03:31 PM
Matty Sarro

Default Patching Red-Hat to a specific version.

On Thu, Dec 8, 2011 at 11:18 AM, cliff here <c4ifford@gmail.com> wrote:
> Hey guys and gals,
>
> This might be a simple question but it's in a scenario that I haven't had
> to deal with with before. I'm about to enter testing process where all of
> my (four) redhat boxes need to be the same version. Well right now I have
> three 5.6 hosts and one 5.7 host; now I know those point releases become
> less and less important once the hosts are synced up to RHN. I know that
> most of the packages are the same version or close enough to it, but the
> product testers want to see the same version exactly. So is there a way to
> sync to RHN on a specific point release?

> NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
> the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
> information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure
> under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended
> recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
> to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
> you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender
> immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
> message and all its attachments.

I ran into a similar problem. What I did was in QA, had one of the
boxes be my "golden" box. On that box I installed the yum-downloadonly
plugin, and ran the following command:
yum update --downloadonly --downloaddir=/var/updaterollup -y

This will pull down all updates to make the box current, and store
them in the /var/updaterollup directory (you will need to create it).
Then, you can copy this set of patches across each of your servers and
install. It guarantees that everything has the same version installed.
Thus far its worked pretty well, though occasionally RPM will bitch
that versions don't match. Given that its the same thing yum would
have run, you can probably safely force the installation.

We have been doing this but utilizing opsware/hp server automation to
deploy the packages. Usually the first remediation will install any
kernel updates and libraries, and then the second remediation will
install all other software.

HTH
-Matty

Old 12-08-2011, 04:00 PM
cliff here

Ya, that makes sense. Won't yum download even newer updates than what is on
box?
Meaning my 5.7 is my golden box and I wouldn't want to update further than
that.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:09 PM
Matty Sarro

It would, yes. Yum update will download the latest packages as of the
time you run it. So, we do that, zip the packages and call it a
"milestone." Then we run a milestone through QA once a month to make
sure nothing gets broken by the updates.

If you want to base it on what is currently installed, the best I know
of is to run rpm -qa to list all of the packages (though this won't
show the super minor patches) on the 5.7 box, and turn them into a
long, long yum install (package names) command, and then run that with
downloadonly on one of the 5.6 boxes. That should at least pull your
5.6 boxes into line with the 5.7 box. Not sure if it'll work though, I
somehow missed that you had some boxes running 5.6 and some running
5.7.

Old 12-08-2011, 04:20 PM
cliff here

Yep, cool that's exactly what we're attempting to do now

Old 12-09-2011, 12:13 AM
"Mike Burger"

> Hey guys and gals,
>
> This might be a simple question but it's in a scenario that I haven't had
> to deal with with before. I'm about to enter testing process where all of
> my (four) redhat boxes need to be the same version. Well right now I have
> three 5.6 hosts and one 5.7 host; now I know those point releases become
> less and less important once the hosts are synced up to RHN. I know that
> most of the packages are the same version or close enough to it, but the
> product testers want to see the same version exactly. So is there a way to
> sync to RHN on a specific point release?

You can download an ISO and boot from it (or a disc burned from it), and
"upgrade an existing Red Hat installation".

This will take you to the specific point release, as released by Red Hat
at the time the specific point release was put out.

This does, of course, require some downtime for the systems in question,
but then they'd still require some downtime when you rebooted for the
kernel upgrade.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Old 12-09-2011, 06:39 AM
"Mertens, Bram"

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

> > This might be a simple question but it's in a scenario that I haven't had
> > to deal with with before. I'm about to enter testing process where all of
> > my (four) redhat boxes need to be the same version. Well right now I have
> > three 5.6 hosts and one 5.7 host; now I know those point releases become
> > less and less important once the hosts are synced up to RHN. I know that
> > most of the packages are the same version or close enough to it, but the
> > product testers want to see the same version exactly. So is there a way to
> > sync to RHN on a specific point release?
> >

> > --
> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
> > the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
> > information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure
> > under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended
> > recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
> > to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> > distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
> > you have received this communication in error, please notify the sender
> > immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
> > message and all its attachments.
>
> I ran into a similar problem. What I did was in QA, had one of the
> boxes be my "golden" box. On that box I installed the yum-downloadonly
> plugin, and ran the following command:
> yum update --downloadonly --downloaddir=/var/updaterollup -y
>
> This will pull down all updates to make the box current, and store
> them in the /var/updaterollup directory (you will need to create it).
> Then, you can copy this set of patches across each of your servers and
> install. It guarantees that everything has the same version installed.
> Thus far its worked pretty well, though occasionally RPM will bitch
> that versions don't match. Given that its the same thing yum would
> have run, you can probably safely force the installation.
>
> We have been doing this but utilizing opsware/hp server automation to
> deploy the packages. Usually the first remediation will install any
> kernel updates and libraries, and then the second remediation will
> install all other software.

You mentioned the systems are synced to RHN.

The easiest solution appears to be to use the package profile sync option to get all boxes aligned.

Then create a system group for the four boxes and execute any update command on that group rather than on the individual servers.

That way you avoid having to download the packages, and especially having to force any update.

@Matty: why would "force" ever be required even in the scenario you propose?
If the boxes start from the same point you would download all required packages on the first box and if they're not at the same starting point you need to allow yum to pull in whatever dependencies are missing or risk breaking packages.

Regards

Bram

Old 12-09-2011, 11:39 AM
Matty Sarro

@Bram
I've found it to mostly happen if you use rpm to install the packages using
some command like "rpm -Uvh *.rpm". Rpm will go through in alphabetical
order (I think) and occasionally try to install a package who hasn't yet
had its required library update installed yet because the library comes
later in the alphabet. Now it could just be an issue with using rpm, in
which case yum localinstall may fix it, but it does happen. Give it a shot
and you'll see what I mean. This goes doubly for kernel updates (not that
you should ever run an rpm update with a kernel package).
-Matty

Old 12-09-2011, 12:30 PM
"Mertens, Bram"

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

> > had
> > of
> > have
> > become
> > that
> > the
> > way to

> > -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
> > use of
> > message
> > dissemination,
> > If
> sender
> this

> > > I ran into a similar problem. What I did was in QA, had one of the
> > > boxes be my "golden" box. On that box I installed the yum-downloadonly
> > > plugin, and ran the following command:
> > > yum update --downloadonly --downloaddir=/var/updaterollup -y
> > >
> > > This will pull down all updates to make the box current, and store
> > > them in the /var/updaterollup directory (you will need to create it).
> > > Then, you can copy this set of patches across each of your servers and
> > > install. It guarantees that everything has the same version installed.
> > > Thus far its worked pretty well, though occasionally RPM will bitch
> > > that versions don't match. Given that its the same thing yum would
> > > have run, you can probably safely force the installation.
> > >
> > > We have been doing this but utilizing opsware/hp server automation to
> > > deploy the packages. Usually the first remediation will install any
> > > kernel updates and libraries, and then the second remediation will
> > > install all other software.
> >

> > You mentioned the systems are synced to RHN.
> >
> > The easiest solution appears to be to use the package profile sync option
> > to get all boxes aligned.
> >
> > Then create a system group for the four boxes and execute any update
> > command on that group rather than on the individual servers.
> >
> > That way you avoid having to download the packages, and especially having
> > to force any update.
> >
> > @Matty: why would "force" ever be required even in the scenario you
> > propose?
> > If the boxes start from the same point you would download all required
> > packages on the first box and if they're not at the same starting point you
> > need to allow yum to pull in whatever dependencies are missing or risk
> > breaking packages.

I rarely use rpm directly anymore, yum takes care of most of this for you. But I was under the impression that even rpm would somehow sort rpm packages specified by such glob in the correct way.

As I wrote I would avoid all this manual work by using groups or even channels in RHN. After all the entire purpose of FLOSS is to avoid reinventing the wheel.

Regards

Bram

Old 12-09-2011, 12:40 PM
Matty Sarro

On Fri, Dec 9, 2011 at 8:30 AM, Mertens, Bram <mertensb@mazdaeur.com> wrote:

> Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
> VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING *310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

I really need to pull myself up to date on the finer points of RHN,
I'm so used to not having it that I always forget about using it as
more than just a repository I'll have to check it out!