Old 12-07-2011, 05:02 PM
Daniel Tate

Default Automation across physical servers / VMWare

We have the need to roll out many servers in a short amount of time,
each with about 8 additional, server specific tools on it. What
would be the simplest way to do this? Kickstart would be OK, but if
there's something a LITTLE faster but not so complicated it would take
a week to learn, that would be preferable. We're going to have 4
configs - RHEL5 32 and 64 bit (Vendor Reqs)

Old 12-07-2011, 05:21 PM
Chaim Rieger

We have the need to roll out many servers in a short amount of time,
each with about 8 additional, server specific tools on it. What
would be the simplest way to do this? Kickstart would be OK, but if
there's something a LITTLE faster but not so complicated it would take
a week to learn, that would be preferable. We're going to have 4
configs - RHEL5 32 and 64 bit (Vendor Reqs)

I do not think that vmware is the correct tool for this

you can setup a template driven image library and then deploy them based
on preconditions. but not using vmware,

with vmware you can clone your golden image, but thats about it.

Old 12-07-2011, 05:23 PM
Marco Shaw

Something easier than kickstart, and you need it now? I don't think
there's anything, but expensive cloning solutions, etc.

You can use VMware to clone, but you can get into duplication issues,
depending on what you're doing with the servers.

On Wed, Dec 7, 2011 at 2:02 PM, Daniel Tate <daniel.tate@gmail.com> wrote:
> We have the need to roll out many servers in a short amount of time,
> each with about 8 additional, server specific tools on it. * What
> would be the simplest way to do this? *Kickstart would be OK, but if
> there's something a LITTLE faster but not so complicated it would take
> a week to learn, that would be preferable. *We're going to have 4
> configs - RHEL5 32 and 64 bit (Vendor Reqs)

*Microsoft MVP - Windows PowerShell
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Marco.Shaw
*Co-Author - Sams Windows PowerShell Unleashed 2nd Edition
*Blog - http://marcoshaw.blogspot.com

Old 12-07-2011, 05:27 PM
Daniel Tate

We have some physical servers (prod) and some VM Servers (nonprod) - 4
different configurations, each with different add on packages not in
the distro - so we need something that can install tripwire, hp tools,
vvmware tools, etc afterwards. Im happy doing kickstart files for
each, but i want to explore the options.

Old 12-07-2011, 06:12 PM

Daniel Tate wrote:
> We have some physical servers (prod) and some VM Servers (nonprod) - 4
> different configurations, each with different add on packages not in
> the distro - so we need something that can install tripwire, hp tools,
> vvmware tools, etc afterwards. Im happy doing kickstart files for
> each, but i want to explore the options.
<snip>
Here's a thought: build one without the extra stuff, and clone it to the
four different configurations. Then hand-add the extras to each of the
four. Once you've done that, you can clone them very easily: the way we do
it here is to install a minimal system via PXEboot, then rsync /boot and /
to /boot/new and /new, and rotate from there (zsh, w/ zmodload, does what
bash won't, btw).

mark

Old 12-08-2011, 06:18 AM
"Mertens, Bram"

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

> On 12/7/2011 10:02 AM, Daniel Tate wrote:
> > We have the need to roll out many servers in a short amount of time,
> > each with about 8 additional, server specific tools on it. What
> > would be the simplest way to do this? Kickstart would be OK, but if
> > there's something a LITTLE faster but not so complicated it would take
> > a week to learn, that would be preferable. We're going to have 4
> > configs - RHEL5 32 and 64 bit (Vendor Reqs)
> >
> I do not think that vmware is the correct tool for this
>
> you can setup a template driven image library and then deploy them based
> on preconditions. but not using vmware,
>
> with vmware you can clone your golden image, but thats about it.

We've recently started using VMWare's LabManager and this allows the creation of templates with a customization script that's run automatically after the template is deployed.

In our test environment I use the post install script to register the machines automatically to our satellite.

Another approach would be similar to what mark suggested: build a minimal server with kickstart but then install whatever else is needed through different channels, custom built RPM packages with deps to whatever you need installed etc.

Or - but unless you have something set up already this won't fit your time requirements - use a tool like cfengine.

Regards

Bram