-   -   Regarding virtualization (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/604859-regarding-virtualization.html)

11-30-2011 08:37 PM

Regarding virtualization

Hello Members

Greetings!!

Can someone explain how to virtualise (or emulate) a Solaris 9 or 8 SPARC system on a Linux PC? (How to install a virtual system from the DVD? How to clone an existing system as a virtual one?)

Regards,

Amitesh S

Marco Shaw 11-30-2011 09:20 PM

Regarding virtualization

You cannot install the Solaris SPARC version on a Linux virtualization
solution. You will need the Solaris Intel version, and you may or may
not have problems. You are also asking a very broad question, and may
need to do a bit more searching on the Internet to find some details
on how to proceed.

Marco

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 5:37 PM, <amiteshsahay@aol.com> wrote:

> Hello Members
>

> Greetings!!
>

> Can someone explain how to virtualise (or emulate) a Solaris 9 or 8 SPARC system on a Linux PC? (How to install a virtual system from the DVD? How to clone an existing system as a virtual one?)
>

> Regards,
>

> Amitesh S

*Microsoft MVP - Windows PowerShell
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Marco.Shaw
*Co-Author - Sams Windows PowerShell Unleashed 2nd Edition
*Blog - http://marcoshaw.blogspot.com

"white.heron white" 12-01-2011 05:26 PM

Regarding virtualization

Fyi. The Solaris SPARC operating system is design for SUN SPARC architecture.
The Linux PC design based on Intel architecture. It is totally different from SUN SPARC architecture.
*
Regards,

MOHAMMAD ADLI BIN MT TAJUDIN
A8-2-7, DESA PANDAN APARTMENTS,
OFF JALAN KG. PANDAN,
55100 KUALA LUMPUR,
WEST MALAYSIA.

H/p number: *(017) 362 3661
Email: white.heron@yahoo.com

________________________________
You cannot install the Solaris SPARC version on a Linux virtualization
solution.* You will need the Solaris Intel version, and you may or may
not have problems.* You are also asking a very broad question, and may
need to do a bit more searching on the Internet to find some details
on how to proceed.

Marco

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 5:37 PM,* <amiteshsahay@aol.com> wrote:

> Hello Members
>

> Greetings!!
>

> Can someone explain how to virtualise (or emulate) a Solaris 9 or 8 SPARC system on a Linux PC? (How to install a virtual system from the DVD? How to clone an existing system as a virtual one?)
>

> Regards,
>

> Amitesh S

*Microsoft MVP - Windows PowerShell
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Marco.Shaw
*Co-Author - Sams Windows PowerShell Unleashed 2nd Edition
*Blog - http://marcoshaw.blogspot.com

You cannot install the Solaris SPARC version on a Linux virtualization
solution. You will need the Solaris Intel version, and you may or may
not have problems. You are also asking a very broad question, and may
need to do a bit more searching on the Internet to find some details
on how to proceed.

Marco

On Wed, Nov 30, 2011 at 5:37 PM, <amiteshsahay@aol.com> wrote:

> Hello Members
>

> Greetings!!
>

> Can someone explain how to virtualise (or emulate) a Solaris 9 or 8 SPARC system on a Linux PC? (How to install a virtual system from the DVD? How to clone an existing system as a virtual one?)
>

> Regards,
>

> Amitesh S

*Microsoft MVP - Windows PowerShell
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Marco.Shaw
*Co-Author - Sams Windows PowerShell Unleashed 2nd Edition
*Blog - http://marcoshaw.blogspot.com

12-01-2011 06:38 PM

Regarding virtualization

Bob Wickline wrote:
> Actually there is an emulation option for SPARC on Intel. Check out
> http://www.qemu.org/ . There was also an emulation product from Transitive
> but IBM bought them out and squashed it like a bug for some reason...

Right, but if the OP isn't sure how to set up Solaris as a VM, and wasn't
aware that SPARC is a different hardware architecture, I have very grave
doubts that he wants to try to run a SPARC VM *under* the emulation.
That's not something I'd want to do, unless I was explicitly
cross-developing.

mark