-   -   RH licensing under Vmware (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/602629-rh-licensing-under-vmware.html)

11-25-2011 12:10 PM

RH licensing under Vmware

Hello,

does anybody know any link about how is RHEL licensed under Vmware ESX servers ?

Best regards
Przemek

hike 11-25-2011 04:35 PM

RH licensing under Vmware

each virtual server requires a separate rhel license is what i was told in
a 2006 class. i don't think this has been changed. so, if you have one
virtual rhel server running in vmware, one license is needed; if five
virtual rhel servers, five licenses are needed.

red hat sales can tell you accurately.

Dustin Larmeir 11-25-2011 08:18 PM

RH licensing under Vmware

There is definitely a VMware host based licensing option.
To clear this up I'd contact redhat for assistance.

"Mr. Paul M. Whitney" 11-25-2011 08:38 PM

RH licensing under Vmware

Or. If at all possible use RHEL virtualization. Believe you only need one license for host machine and as many virtual machines as you can support.

Paul M. Whitney
410.493.9448
pm9448 (yahoo, Skype, aim)
Paul.Whitney@me.com

Sent from my iPhone 4S

"Mertens, Bram" 11-28-2011 07:04 AM

RH licensing under Vmware

Disclaimer: I do not work Red Hat, the following is in no way official or binding.

RHEL licensing has changed recently (March 1st 2011).

As I wrote earlier on this list I received a presentation from our account manager but I'm certainly not the right person to distribute such information.

Please check http://www.redhat.com/rhel/purchasing_guide.html and http://www.redhat.com/licenses/ and I also suggest to contact your Red Hat account manager.

What I can say is:
* New model is based on number of sockets (2, 4 or 8)
* New model is based on RHEL subscriptions including Virtual Guests (1, 4 or unlimited)

Regards

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB