-   -   Configure a package (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/600065-configure-package.html)

Zantgo 11-18-2011 06:16 PM

Configure a package

Some of you busy FreeBSD or Gentoo, the grace of these systems are personal settings that everyone can get in the installation of each package, for example because in gentoo by the USE variable, everyone can put there by example "gtk -qt ", which eans that for each installed package support for gtk (Gonome), and remove support for qt (kde), because in this case the user is occupying Gnome, then you need support for KDE. The same would be if I install the same package on FreeBSD, but this is set during installation of the package, in this case, while a menu will be installed based on X Window, which let you choose what you want to install and what not, this case the user deactivate and activate gtk qt. In these two systems packages install things through the source, a significant difference in relation to RedHat. These are my questions:

- Can you get this kind of advanced configuration of RedHat packages, either by source or RPM?
- Redhat has advanced management tools with the sources?
- In the event that this can be Where I can get this information how?

Thanks in advance Zantgo

"Mertens, Bram" 11-21-2011 07:16 AM

Configure a package

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB

> Some of you busy FreeBSD or Gentoo, the grace of these systems are
> personal settings that everyone can get in the installation of each package,
> for example because in gentoo by the USE variable, everyone can put there
> by example "gtk -qt ", which eans that for each installed package support for
> gtk (Gonome), and remove support for qt (kde), because in this case the
> user is occupying Gnome, then you need support for KDE. The same would
> be if I install the same package on FreeBSD, but this is set during installation
> of the package, in this case, while a menu will be installed based on X
> Window, which let you choose what you want to install and what not, this
> case the user deactivate and activate gtk qt. In these two systems packages
> install things through the source, a significant difference in relation to
> RedHat. These are my questions:
>
> - Can you get this kind of advanced configuration of RedHat packages, either
> by source or RPM?
> - Redhat has advanced management tools with the sources?
> - In the event that this can be Where I can get this information how?
>
> Thanks in advance Zantgo

RPM packages are "prebuilt", they do not even contain the sources used to build them as most users don't need these. For this reason an RPM based system does not need to contain compilers and/or tools like autoconf, configure and make.
Therefore it is not possible to modify how packages are built using RPM packages.

You can *can* recompile source rpms (usually .src.rpm), see e.g. http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora_Draft_Documentation/0.1/html/RPM_Guide/index.html as a starting point.

But you will need to install each source RPM, edit it's spec file and rpmbuild it.

That said, I doubt you will need to do so. In the example you give you mention support for KDE vs. Gnome. In my experience packages that come prebuilt for Gnome usually work best in Gnome and vice versa for KDE packages. Both desktop environments provide an extensive "infrastructure" to "their" applications, e.g. the use of a central authentication mechanism (gnome-keyring/kwallet), notification system, Personal Information Managers, etc.

Regards

Bram