Old 11-16-2011, 11:30 AM
Phil Savoie

Default yum repos question

Hello everyone,

This question is such a simple, obvious question, but I can't find the
answer anywhere.

When you have several yum repos files in /etc/yum.repos.d and you decide
to use yum to install some software, if that software can be found in
several of the repos, which repo gets priority?

There are three answers I have seen:

1) use a plugin--- yum-pugin-priorities However, several sites
have warned against the idea of put a priority level on the different
repositories.
2) use the "--disable repo" to disable any repos when installing (this
assumes you know which repos have the duplicate software!)
3) from the man page: (but this only applies to when you have more
than one baseurl in a stanza, NOT two completely different repositories
that both have that software)
"failovermethod Either 'roundrobin' or 'priority'. under each repo
stanze 'roundrobin' randomly selects a URL out of the list of URLs to
start with and proceeds through each of them as it encounters a failure
contacting the host.
'priority' starts from the first baseurl listed and reads through them
sequentially.
failovermethod defaults to 'roundrobin' if not specified."

Any help is appreciated!

Thank you.

Phil

Old 11-16-2011, 11:59 AM
Phil Savoie

Hi Danica,

According to fedora docs:

The yum command now understands a cost parameter in its configuration
file, which is the relative cost of accessing a software repository. It
is useful for weighing one software repository's packages as greater or
less than any other. The cost parameter defaults to 1000, with lower
costs given priority.

This could be the reason.

Phil