-   -   Making a USB bootdisk... (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/596965-making-usb-bootdisk.html)

cliff here 11-11-2011 01:26 AM

Making a USB bootdisk...

... for windows.

So I have been able to get a Fedora image or a rhel image on to my USB disk
just by using dd to copy to the ISO to the disk. However I cannot use the
same method to copy a windows ISO to the same disk and have it come out
bootable. I only have a Fedora and RHEL boxes to work on currently. I have
tried to with fedora liveusb creator and with unetbootin. Has anyone ever
gotten this to work?

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.

"white.heron white" 11-11-2011 08:46 AM

Making a USB bootdisk...

Dear Cliff,

For your information, you may proceed the following steps to make bootable usb pendrive:

1) Download LiveUSB creator for Windows platform.
2) Install and run LiveUSB Creator (latest version 2.8.1)
3) Select USB Pendrive from*LiveUSB Creator (latest version 2.8.1) software.
4) Select ISO image directories.
5) Select hidden file created and Run ISO image setup.

*
Regards,

MOHAMMAD ADLI BIN MT TAJUDIN
A8-2-7, DESA PANDAN APARTMENTS,
OFF JALAN KG. PANDAN,
55100 KUALA LUMPUR,
WEST MALAYSIA.

H/p number: *(017) 362 3662
Email: white.heron@yahoo.com

________________________________

cliff here 11-11-2011 12:44 PM

Making a USB bootdisk...

Don't have a windows platform to use currently. And fedora's liveusb
creator keeps crashing unfortunately. The method of making a windows disk
IN linux seems rather obscure, which is why I wanted to make sure it was
possible.

"D. Marshall Lemcoe Jr." 11-11-2011 01:23 PM

Making a USB bootdisk...

If you have access to a Windows PC, there is a Windows tool that is
perfect for putting Windows ISOs onto USB drives. I have used it many
times in my line of work and it is perfect for installing Windows 7 if
you have the ISO.

http://wudt.codeplex.com/

Enjoy.

David

cliff here 11-11-2011 01:37 PM

Making a USB bootdisk...

Well part of this exercise, is I want to know what makes a linux iso differ
from that of a windows iso, which is probably something in the boot sector.

I guess I could make a Virtual machine with my windows ISO and then make a
windows USB boot disk from there.

"D. Marshall Lemcoe Jr." 11-11-2011 04:03 PM

Making a USB bootdisk...

I understand what you're saying.

In my experience (using dd, unetbootin, and the Windows tool), the
Windows tool has proven superior in putting *Windows 7* DVDs on a USB
drive.

Karthik 11-11-2011 07:07 PM

Making a USB bootdisk...

Hi Jeff

U can install wine on a Linux machine and run windows exe.