Old 11-03-2011, 09:22 AM
RuceLee

Default chmod behaviour

Hello, fellow subscribers

Recently I was playing with directory permissions on a ext4 filesystem and I have stumbled
at a situation when setting up setting up directory SGID behaves not as expected, at least for me.

For example:

chmod g+s my_directory works the same as chmod 2755 my_directory

On the other hand:

chmod g-s my_directory doesn't work the same as chmod 0755 my_directory

the latest doing absolutely nothing *to remove the intended SGID bit.

The latest package I have is coreutils-8.4-13.el6.x86_64

Thank you for your thoughts.

Old 11-03-2011, 11:41 PM
Cameron Simpson

On 03Nov2011 10:22, RuceLee <bors_ruslan@yahoo.com> wrote:
| Recently I was playing with directory permissions on a ext4 filesystem and I have stumbled
| at a situation when setting up setting up directory SGID behaves not as expected, at least for me.
|
| For example:
|
| chmod g+s my_directory works the same as chmod 2755 my_directory
|
| On the other hand:
|
| chmod g-s my_directory doesn't work the same as chmod 0755 my_directory
|
| the latest doing absolutely nothing *to remove the intended SGID bit.
|
| The latest package I have is coreutils-8.4-13.el6.x86_64

You should probably post a transcript with:

ls -ld my_directory

before and after each chmod command just so people can see exactly what
the permission state is.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

All my life I have searched for a car that feels a certain way, powerful
like a gorilla, yet soft and yielding like a nerf ball. - Homer Simpson