Old 11-02-2011, 07:00 PM
"Doll, Margaret Ann"

Default virtualization documentation supports which operating systems

According to the documentation written in 2010

RHEV presently supports the following virtualized guest operating systems:

- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 (32 bit and 64 bit)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (32 bit and 64 bit)
- Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (32 bit and 64 bit)
- Windows XP Service Pack 3 and newer (32 bit only)
- Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 and newer (32 bit and 64 bit)
- Windows Server 2008 (32 bit and 64 bit)
- Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit only)
- Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit)

I assume that RHEV has been upgraded to support RH 6.1.
Will it support Fedora on the clients, especially Fedora 13?
Fedora 13 and RH 6.1 seem to be using the same glibc-common libraries.

Old 11-02-2011, 08:48 PM
Eugene Vilensky

On Wed, Nov 2, 2011 at 3:00 PM, Doll, Margaret Ann
<margaret_doll@brown.edu> wrote:
> According to the documentation written in 2010
>
> RHEV presently supports the following virtualized guest operating systems:
>
> * - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 3 (32 bit and 64 bit)
> * - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 4 (32 bit and 64 bit)
> * - Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5 (32 bit and 64 bit)
> * - Windows XP Service Pack 3 and newer (32 bit only)
> * - Windows Server 2003 Service Pack 2 and newer (32 bit and 64 bit)
> * - Windows Server 2008 (32 bit and 64 bit)
> * - Windows Server 2008 R2 (64 bit only)
> * - Windows 7 (32 bit and 64 bit)
>
> I assume that RHEV has been upgraded to support RH 6.1.
> Will it support Fedora on the clients, especially Fedora 13?
> Fedora 13 and RH 6.1 seem to be using the same glibc-common libraries.

Sorry for the pedantry, but is your question "will it support" or
"will Red Hat support?"

It's an important distinction.

Cheers,
Eugene

Old 11-03-2011, 11:35 AM
"Doll, Margaret Ann"

If I am running RedHat 6.1 on my server, can I use Fedora 13 on the clients?
Or do the clients also have to be running RedHat?

I will purchase a RedHat contract for the server. Do I purchase a RedHat
contract for the clients if I use RedHat on them?

Old 11-07-2011, 07:15 AM
"Mertens, Bram"

For these questions I'd recommend talking to a Red Hat sales rep. In my experience they're very helpful.

What I can tell is that the new model is based on the number of sockets and includes a number of virtual guests. You have the choice of 1, 4 or an unlimited amount of virtual guests.

So the subscription you need is determined by the amount of sockets, the amount of virtual guests and the type of support you want.

Regards

Bram

Mazda Motor Logistics Europe NV, Blaasveldstraat 162, B-2830 Willebroek
VAT BE 0406.024.281, RPR Mechelen, ING 310-0092504-52, IBAN : BE64 3100 0925 0452, SWIFT : BBRUBEBB