Old 10-27-2011, 08:17 AM
Nigel Wade

Default questions about xset

On 26/10/11 18:34, Doll, Margaret Ann wrote:
[ OK ]

[root@ted fs]# netstat -alnp | grep 7100
unix 2 [ ACC ] STREAM LISTENING 10796483
6976/xfs /tmp/.font-unix/fs7100
unix 3 [ ] STREAM CONNECTED 10796698
6976/xfs /tmp/.font-unix/fs7100

xfs is not listening on a network interface. It's only listening on the
filesystem socket. It needs to be listening on a suitable network
interface for other clients to access it. That socket only has local
access, via the filesystem.

You need to change the no-listen setting in the config file.

E-mail : nmw@ion.le.ac.uk
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

Old 10-27-2011, 01:43 PM
"Doll, Margaret Ann"

Thanks to everyone, especially Nigel. I can now run the graphics from my
mac onto the head node. Next step is to see if I can get the compute nodes
to display the image.

Short synopsis of the steps:

On the head node:

1. Edit /etc/X11/fs/config to
a. include the paths to the Mathematic fonts under catalogue=
b. Comment out #no-listen = tcp
2. Restart xfs "service xfs restart"
3. Edit the iptables to allow tcp connections to port 7100
4. Restart iptables "service iptables restart"

On the local mac where ted is the head node on the server

xfsinfo -server ted:7100
xset +fp tcp/ted:7100
xset fp rehash
xset q
ssh -Y ted

Old 10-27-2011, 02:09 PM
Nigel Wade

Thanks to everyone, especially Nigel. I can now run the graphics from my
mac onto the head node. Next step is to see if I can get the compute nodes
to display the image.

Short synopsis of the steps:

On the head node:

1. Edit /etc/X11/fs/config to
a. include the paths to the Mathematic fonts under catalogue=
b. Comment out #no-listen = tcp
2. Restart xfs "service xfs restart"
3. Edit the iptables to allow tcp connections to port 7100
4. Restart iptables "service iptables restart"

On the local mac where ted is the head node on the server

xfsinfo -server ted:7100
xset +fp tcp/ted:7100
xset fp rehash
xset q
ssh -Y ted

Glad you got it sorted.

The only reason I know how to do this is because I went through exactly
the same learning curve when we got Mathematica. Users wanted to run it
on the compute server (ccNUMA, not a cluster), with display on their
PC's. So it was necessary to figure out how to serve the fonts for PC X
servers (Exceed, and later NX).

Good luck with Mathematica on the cluster. That's not an area where I
have any expertise.