-   -   questions about xset (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/591158-questions-about-xset.html)

"Doll, Margaret Ann" 10-25-2011 03:08 PM

questions about xset

CentOS release 5.6 (Final)

We have Mathematica 7.0 installed on our computer cluster, but are unable to
get the display to work. The initial trademark comes up, but not the rest
of the application.

mathematica &
[1] 2527
[mdoll@ted ~]$ xset: bad font path element (#1149), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax

Mathematica says that the problem is

Font Installation
All machines that display the front end must have access to the fonts
included with *Mathematica*. If the *Mathematica* process is running on a
remote machine and the front end is displayed on the local machine, the X
server on the local machine must know where to find the *Mathematica* fonts.
To do this, add the *Mathematica* fonts to the local font path by running a
command like the following on the local machine.

xset fp+ /usr/local/Wolfram/Mathematica/8.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1; xset fp
rehash

Be sure to execute xset fp rehash to make the fonts available to the local X
server.
For optimal onscreen performance, Type1 fonts should appear before BDF fonts
in the font path. Hence,
$InstallationDirectory<http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/$InstallationDirectory.html>
/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1 should appear before
$InstallationDirectory<http://reference.wolfram.com/mathematica/ref/$InstallationDirectory.html>
/SystemFiles/Fonts/BDF. You can check the order of the font path by
executing the command xset q.

*Note:* TrueType fonts are automatically loaded and do not require an
xsetcommand.

I have tried

xset +fp
/share/apps/Mathematica7.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1,/share/apps/Mathematica7.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/BDF
xset: bad font path element (#1149), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax

xset +fp
/share/apps/Mathematica7.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1
xset: bad font path element (#1149), possible causes are:
Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
Directory missing fonts.dir
Incorrect font server address or syntax

What's going wrong?

"xset q" shows

Font Path:

/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/misc/,/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/TTF/,/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/OTF,/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/Type1/,/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/:unscaled,/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/:unscaled,/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/75dpi/,/usr/X11/lib/X11/fonts/100dpi/,/Library/Fonts,/System/Library/Fonts

10-25-2011 03:18 PM

questions about xset

Doll, Margaret Ann wrote:
> CentOS release 5.6 (Final)
>
> We have Mathematica 7.0 installed on our computer cluster, but are unable
> to get the display to work. The initial trademark comes up, but not the
> rest of the application.
>
> mathematica &
> [1] 2527
> [mdoll@ted ~]$ xset: bad font path element (#1149), possible causes are:
> Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
> Directory missing fonts.dir
> Incorrect font server address or syntax
<snip>
> I have tried
> xset +fp
> /share/apps/Mathematica7.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1,/share/apps/Mathematica7.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/BDF
<snip>
> xset +fp
> /share/apps/Mathematica7.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1
> xset: bad font path element (#1149), possible causes are:
> Directory does not exist or has wrong permissions
> Directory missing fonts.dir
> Incorrect font server address or syntax
>
> What's going wrong?

That's what I think is wrong. From man xset
<snip>
[fp=pathlist] [-fp=pathlist] [+fp=pathlist] [fp-pathlist] [fp+pathlist]
<snip>
esp. since it keeps giving you its std. error message. Try
xset
+fp=/share/apps/Mathematica7.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/Type1,/share/apps/Mathematica7.0/SystemFiles/Fonts/BDF

mark