Old 10-17-2011, 03:12 PM
cliff here

Default Manual URL re-directs

Mornin' listmates

I'm trying to think through a task I got the other day, and it seems fairly
simple however, I'm not sure what the correct tool for the Job is. Let me
break down the scenario.

I have three systems that users access for a web app, all three are
identical ie.

www.application-one.com
www.application-two.com
www.application-three.com

We are constantly flipping users between they are told to access because of
problems are maintenance etc. , and the powers that be (Management) want
there to be a single URL and make the manual redirection on the back end so
the users don't see it. They think it's embarrassing to the client (and it
is) that we're constantly having to switch them due to system problems. So
before I go down a possibly more complicated route; I'm hoping there is
something quick and easy within Apache to accomplish this. Please let me
know if you have any suggestions or any additional information I should
provide.

Thanks guys!

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.

Old 10-17-2011, 03:26 PM
David Bear

If the application is serving http -- take a long look at ha-proxy. It may
do just what you want.

On Mon, Oct 17, 2011 at 8:12 AM, cliff here <c4ifford@gmail.com> wrote:

> Mornin' listmates
>
> I'm trying to think through a task I got the other day, and it seems fairly
> simple however, I'm not sure what the correct tool for the Job is. Let me
> break down the scenario.
>
> I have three systems that users access for a web app, all three are
> identical ie.
>
> www.application-one.com
> www.application-two.com
> www.application-three.com
>

> We are constantly flipping users between they are told to access because of
> problems are maintenance etc. , and the powers that be (Management) want
> there to be a single URL and make the manual redirection on the back end so
> the users don't see it. They think it's embarrassing to the client (and it
> is) that we're constantly having to switch them due to system problems. So
> before I go down a possibly more complicated route; I'm hoping there is
> something quick and easy within Apache to accomplish this. Please let me
> know if you have any suggestions or any additional information I should
> provide.
>
> Thanks guys!

> NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
> the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
> information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure
> under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended
> recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
> to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If
> you
> have received this communication in error, please notify the sender
> immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
> message and all its attachments.

David Bear
College of Public Programs at ASU
602-496-0424

Old 10-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 17 October 2011 16:12, cliff here <c4ifford@gmail.com> wrote:
> Mornin' listmates
>
> I'm trying to think through a task I got the other day, and it seems fairly
> simple however, I'm not sure what the correct tool for the Job is. Let me
> break down the scenario.

Have a look at ProxyPass and ProxyPassReverse options.

Then set up a VirtualHost for the hostname you want to use (i.e.,
www.application.com) and then ProxyPass to those and back.

Sample:
<VirtualHost *:80>
ServerName application.com

DocumentRoot /fubar
ProxyPass / http://www.application-one.com/
ProxyPassReverse / http://www.application-one.com/
ServerAlias www.application.com
</VirtualHost>

On the other hand, if you want to use high-availability or load
balance across the envs, either (yours nor mine) are not the right
approach.