Old 10-10-2011, 09:39 AM
dayangkuncn

Default How to measure NFS throughput in RHEL5.5 ?

Guys,

I'm trying to measure how much data transferred between my NFS server
machine and a NFS client machine in each second while doing some NFS
file copy ops, I'm trying to read the "/proc/net/rpc/nfs" file, but
could not figure out what the numbers mean, following are some sample
output from the "/proc/net/rpc/nfs" file on both the NFS server machine
and the NFS client machine:

NFS Server Machine:
===================
# cat /proc/net/rpc/nfsd
rc 0 784559 4015980
fh 0 0 0 0 0
io 784552 0
th 8 0 3828.727 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000
ra 32 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 784552
net 4800540 0 4800538 1
rpc 4800539 0 0 0 0
proc2 18 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
proc3 22 0 808066 0 787484 801849 0 784552 0 0 0 0 0 784551 0 8 0 0
49477 1 0 0 0
proc4 2 0 0
proc4ops 40 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

NFS Client Machine:
===================
# cat /proc/net/rpc/nfs
net 0 0 0 0
rpc 11884 0 0
proc2 18 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
proc3 22 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
proc4 35 0 0 10003 137 180 135 0 0 180 135 90 0 45 45 0 0 0 270 261 134
45 0 0 0 0 45 0 0 0 0 135 0 0 0 0

My operating system is RHEL5.5, could someone help me to read these
numbers ?

Thanks very much in advance
-YK

Old 10-10-2011, 02:45 PM
cliff here

I would probably try and use IPTRAF and just monitor how much data is being
sent over the TCP port number you have setup for NFS.

On Mon, Oct 10, 2011 at 5:39 AM, dayangkuncn <dayangkuncn@yahoo.com.cn>wrote:

> Guys,
>
> I'm trying to measure how much data transferred between my NFS server
> machine and a NFS client machine in each second while doing some NFS
> file copy ops, I'm trying to read the "/proc/net/rpc/nfs" file, but
> could not figure out what the numbers mean, following are some sample
> output from the "/proc/net/rpc/nfs" file on both the NFS server machine
> and the NFS client machine:
>

> NFS Server Machine:
> ===================
> # cat /proc/net/rpc/nfsd
> rc 0 784559 4015980
> fh 0 0 0 0 0
> io 784552 0
> th 8 0 3828.727 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000 0.000
> ra 32 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 784552
> net 4800540 0 4800538 1
> rpc 4800539 0 0 0 0
> proc2 18 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> proc3 22 0 808066 0 787484 801849 0 784552 0 0 0 0 0 784551 0 8 0 0
> 49477 1 0 0 0
> proc4 2 0 0
> proc4ops 40 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>

> NFS Client Machine:
> ===================
> # cat /proc/net/rpc/nfs
> net 0 0 0 0
> rpc 11884 0 0
> proc2 18 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> proc3 22 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
> proc4 35 0 0 10003 137 180 135 0 0 180 135 90 0 45 45 0 0 0 270 261 134
> 45 0 0 0 0 45 0 0 0 0 135 0 0 0 0
>

> My operating system is RHEL5.5, could someone help me to read these
> numbers ?
>
> Thanks very much in advance
> -YK

NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
message and all its attachments.

Old 10-10-2011, 08:30 PM
upen

iotop -bktqqq -d 1 | grep -v "[0].00 K/s 0.00 K/s" | grep nfsd

You can install iotop in RHEL (NFS server) and then try above command.

Will that help?

Old 10-11-2011, 07:54 AM
dayangkuncn

thanks guys, thanks for everyone's help.

I'm now using nfsstat and iotop to monitor the NFS throughput, it's much
more easier.

Thanks again
-YK

于 2011/10/11 4:30, upen 写道:

Old 10-11-2011, 02:41 PM
cliff here

I didn't know about iotop could do that , so I learned something as well =)

Old 10-14-2011, 01:19 AM
Sanjay Chakraborty

similar to iotop there is a command slabtop for real memory info..

On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 10:41 AM, cliff here <c4ifford@gmail.com> wrote:
> I didn't know about iotop could do that , so I learned something as well =)
>
> On Tue, Oct 11, 2011 at 3:54 AM, dayangkuncn <dayangkuncn@yahoo.com.cn>wrote:
>
>> thanks guys, thanks for everyone's help.
>>
>> I'm now using nfsstat and iotop to monitor the NFS throughput, it's much
>> more easier.
>>
>> Thanks again
>> -YK
>>

>> 于 2011/10/11 4:30, upen 写道:
>>
>> *iotop -bktqqq -d 1 *| grep -v "[0].00 K/s * *0.00 K/s" | grep nfsd
>>>
>>> You can install iotop in RHEL (NFS server) and then try above command.
>>>
>>> Will that help?
>>>

>> --

> NOTICE: This message, including all attachments, is intended for the use of
> the individual or entity to which it is addressed and may contain
> information that is privileged, confidential and exempt from disclosure
> under applicable law. If the reader of this message is not the intended
> recipient, or the employee or agent responsible for delivering this message
> to its intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any dissemination,
> distribution or copying of this communication is strictly prohibited. If you
> have received this communication in error, please notify the sender
> immediately by replying "Received in error" and immediately delete this
> message and all its attachments.

Regards.
Sanjay Chakraborty

Old 10-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Sanjay Chakraborty

>>similar to iotop there is a command slabtop for real memory info.
connection .. similar to iotop there is a command slabtop for real
time memory info.

--
Regards.
Sanjay Chakraborty