Old 09-28-2011, 04:32 PM
ESGLinux

Default OT: package to make a graphical network diagram

Hi all,

I have a small network and I have a graphical network diagram made by
hand.

Now my network is growing (like a baby ;-) ) and I spent a lot of time
updating the diagram,

I most use RHEL 5 and RHEL 6 so, Id like to know if is there any rpm in
RHEL that can make the network diagram automatically scanning the network.

It could save me a lot of time

Im sure you dont make this kind of diagram by hand, are you?

Thanks in advance

ESG.

Old 09-28-2011, 08:31 PM
"Mike Burger"

> Hi all,
>
> I have a small network and I have a graphical network diagram made by
> hand.
>
> Now my network is growing (like a baby ;-) ) and I spent a lot of time
> updating the diagram,
>
> I most use RHEL 5 and RHEL 6 so, Id like to know if is there any rpm in
> RHEL that can make the network diagram automatically scanning the network.
>
> It could save me a lot of time

You could look at Dia, Kivio, or OpenOffice (LibreOffice) Draw.

--
Mike Burger
http://www.bubbanfriends.org

Visit the Dog Pound II BBS

or send a blank email message to:

site-update-subscribe@bubbanfriends.org

Old 09-28-2011, 08:44 PM

Mike Burger wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a small network and I have a graphical network diagram made by
>> hand.
>>
>> Now my network is growing (like a baby ;-) ) and I spent a lot of time
>> updating the diagram,
>>
>> I most use RHEL 5 and RHEL 6 so, Id like to know if is there any rpm in
>> RHEL that can make the network diagram automatically scanning the
>> network.
>>
>> It could save me a lot of time
>
> You could look at Dia, Kivio, or OpenOffice (LibreOffice) Draw.

Clearly, from what the OP wrote, OO.o won't cut it. If there is a package
that can actually scan the network, and present paths in a graphical form,
by itself, I'd *really* like to know about it.

mark

Old 09-28-2011, 09:44 PM
"Richardson, Joshua A."

HP used to have a piece of software that did this they included with some of their switches. I think there's some nmap based software or plugin to do this as well.

Joshua A. Richardson
MIS Operations Support
(703)-272-1761 - Desk
(202)-400-1733 - Cell

Old 09-28-2011, 10:20 PM
"B.J. McClure"

On Wed, September 28, 2011 16:31, Mike Burger wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> I have a small network and I have a graphical network diagram made by
>> hand.
>>
>> Now my network is growing (like a baby ;-) ) and I spent a lot of time
>> updating the diagram,
>>
>> I most use RHEL 5 and RHEL 6 so, Id like to know if is there any rpm in
>> RHEL that can make the network diagram automatically scanning the
>> network.
>>
>> It could save me a lot of time
>
> snip>

Sorry I missed the original post but the OP may be happy with the
Topography tab of nmap gui (Zenmap) in RHEL6 for small networks. I just
did a quick scan using 192.168.xxx/24 and got a somewhat useful graphic
that can be saved and manipulated slightly.

HTH.

B.J.

Old 09-29-2011, 06:42 AM
ESGLinux

Hi,,

First thak you all for yor answers,

I use DIA to manually draw the diagram,

I have tested nmap +zenmap but I dont like the results...

Some time ago (perhaps 8 years..) I used a software called Cheops -
http://cheops-ng.sourceforge.net/

look at the screenshots they are very nice. The problem is that I cant get
this running on my rhels

(checking for gnomeConf.sh file in /usr/local/lib... not found
configure: error: Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated by
gnome-libs install
)

So the question now are two questions:

- anyone knows something like cheops?
- anyone knows how to compile this software in RHEL 5/6 (Il try it but
finally I reach a dependency hell :-/)

Thanks again,

ESG

Old 09-29-2011, 08:39 AM
"Facundo M. de la Cruz"

On 09/29/2011 03:42 AM, ESGLinux wrote:
> Hi,,
>
> First thak you all for yor answers,
>
> I use DIA to manually draw the diagram,
>
> I have tested nmap +zenmap but I dont like the results...
>
> Some time ago (perhaps 8 years..) I used a software called Cheops -
> http://cheops-ng.sourceforge.net/
>
> look at the screenshots they are very nice. The problem is that I cant get
> this running on my rhels
>
> (checking for gnomeConf.sh file in /usr/local/lib... not found
> configure: error: Could not find the gnomeConf.sh file that is generated by
> gnome-libs install
> )
>
> So the question now are two questions:
>
> - anyone knows something like cheops?
> - anyone knows how to compile this software in RHEL 5/6 (Il try it but
> finally I reach a dependency hell :-/)
>
> Thanks again,
>
> ESG

>>> snip>
>>
>> Sorry I missed the original post but the OP may be happy with the
>> Topography tab of nmap gui (Zenmap) in RHEL6 for small networks. I just
>> did a quick scan using 192.168.xxx/24 and got a somewhat useful graphic
>> that can be saved and manipulated slightly.
>>
>> HTH.
>>
>> B.J.
>>

>> --

Hello,

You can use a very powerfull Python library called scapy for make it.
You can find some examples here:

http://www.secdev.org/projects/scapy/demo.html

The document for this project is good and have multiples examples.

Regards

- --
Facundo M. de la Cruz (tty0)
IT Consultant & Security Researcher

GPG fingerprint: DF2F 514A 5167 00F5 C753 BF3B D797 C8E1 5726 0789

produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the Universe is winning." -
Rich Cook

Old 09-29-2011, 09:41 AM
ESGLinux

Hi,

It looks nice (perhaps a bit complicated). Ill give it a try

Thanks,

ESG

Old 10-02-2011, 09:48 PM
"Mike Burger"

> Mike Burger wrote:
>>> Hi all,
>>>
>>> I have a small network and I have a graphical network diagram made by
>>> hand.
>>>
>>> Now my network is growing (like a baby ;-) ) and I spent a lot of time
>>> updating the diagram,
>>>
>>> I most use RHEL 5 and RHEL 6 so, Id like to know if is there any rpm
>>> in
>>> RHEL that can make the network diagram automatically scanning the
>>> network.
>>>
>>> It could save me a lot of time
>>
>> You could look at Dia, Kivio, or OpenOffice (LibreOffice) Draw.
>
> Clearly, from what the OP wrote, OO.o won't cut it. If there is a package
> that can actually scan the network, and present paths in a graphical form,
> by itself, I'd *really* like to know about it.

You're right...I should remember to read these messages when I'm a little
less busy at work, and can properly read/comprehend them.