-   -   Does restarting network services unload NIC module? (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/573379-does-restarting-network-services-unload-nic-module.html)

Matty Sarro 09-08-2011 07:40 PM

Does restarting network services unload NIC module?

Simple question - when you type service network restart, does the
kernel unload the module or not?

I ask because we're tangling with the bonding driver atm. After
modifying the mode from 6 to 1 in modprobe.conf and restarting network
services, I noticed there was no change. It wasn't until afterwards
that I realized I may have needed to rmmod and insmod.

Any thoughts?
-Matty

Ray Van Dolson 09-08-2011 07:49 PM

On Thu, Sep 08, 2011 at 12:40:21PM -0700, Matty Sarro wrote:
> Simple question - when you type service network restart, does the
> kernel unload the module or not?
>
> I ask because we're tangling with the bonding driver atm. After
> modifying the mode from 6 to 1 in modprobe.conf and restarting network
> services, I noticed there was no change. It wasn't until afterwards
> that I realized I may have needed to rmmod and insmod.
>
> Any thoughts?
> -Matty

I haven't tested, but I'm guessing it does _not_ unload the kernel
module.

Ray

"Naeem, Muhammad1 " 09-08-2011 07:54 PM

Does restarting network services unload NIC module?

It doesn't. You have to unload the module if you are making any changes in module parameters.

Matty Sarro 09-08-2011 07:58 PM

Does restarting network services unload NIC module?

On Thu, Sep 8, 2011 at 3:54 PM, Naeem, Muhammad1
<muhammad1.naeem@citi.com> wrote:
> It doesn't. You have to unload the module if you are making any changes in module parameters.

Thanks all, much appreciated.
-Matty