Old 08-30-2011, 01:08 PM
Rhugga Harper

Default How to copy/replicate files w/o changing the access time?

I need to migrate terabytes of data from one NAS (NetAPP) to a new NAS
(HNAS). We are also implementing an archive solution with the new NAS that
will archive files that haven't been accessed in X amount of time. I can't
seem to find a way to replicate the data w/o changing the access times on
the destination copy. I've tried rsync and cpio and both end up modifying
the destination copy's access time. I've even tried reading the source from
a read-only snapshot.

So far the only way I can get these files on the new NAS w/o updated access
times is using netbackup/NDMP but the volume of data is far to great for
this approach. I'm wanting to use rsync or some other tool that has
incremental capabilities so I can start moving the data online w/o downtime,
and then take a small outage to do a final sync and then cutover.

Anyone have any suggestions? I have linux and solaris hosts at my disposal.
So far the behavior has been the same from Solaris 10 and RHEL 5 clients.

Thx

Old 08-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Hakan Koseoglu

On 30 August 2011 14:08, Rhugga Harper <rhugga@gmail.com> wrote:
> I need to migrate terabytes of data from one NAS (NetAPP) to a new NAS
> (HNAS). We are also implementing an archive solution with the new NAS that
> will archive files that haven't been accessed in X amount of time. I can't
> seem to find a way to replicate the data w/o changing the access times on
> the destination copy. I've tried rsync and cpio and both end up modifying
> the destination copy's access time. I've even tried reading the source from
> a read-only snapshot.
Mount the file systems with noatime option to disable atime updates.
Otherwise you will get an update on atime since you have done an
access.

Mind you, disabling atime might cause interesting side effects.

Old 08-30-2011, 02:25 PM
Rhugga Harper

Yea tried noatime option as well.

For some reason even the noatime option does not work. The initial
copy/creation of the file results in a current access time. I've tried
mounting both the source and destination NFS volumes with noatime and nada.
>From this point forward, the noatime option works, but the initial
"creation" of the file via rsync results in a recent access time. (my guess
is that is matched the ctime)

Grr... this seems like it should be so simple.

Old 08-30-2011, 10:53 PM
"Eugene Vilensky"

NetApp has a vol option noatimeupdate. Might it help if there is there a similar setting on HNAS?

Netapp also recommends just setting it in general to increased performance on heavily used volumes.
Sent via mobile.