Old 08-30-2011, 01:59 AM
"Furnish, Trever G"

Default is setfacl broken? or is it Linux acl support in general?

Can someone help me understand where I'm going wrong with setfacl?

I want every new file created in a directory to have an effective acl of rwx for user "bob".

I do this:
setfacl -m d:u:bob:rwx,u:bob:rwx directory

Then I touch a new file into that directory:
touch directory/newfile

Unfortunately, newfile comes in with some seemingly random acl -- sometimes it's r--, sometimes it's rw-, but it's never rwx.

What gives?

I've tried explicitly setting the default and non-default masks too -- that doesn't seem to help (but here's the command I mean):
setfacl -m d:m::rwx,m::rwx,d:u:bob:rwx,u:bob:rwx .

Still gives the same results.

If I then turn around and re-apply what should be the existing default acl to the new file, this time it sticks. Same thing happens if I 'chmod +x newfile':
setfacl -m u:bob:rwx newfile

It really just seems like default acl support under Linux doesn't work. That really, really sucks.

--
Trever

Old 08-30-2011, 02:12 AM
Barry Brimer

Can someone help me understand where I'm going wrong with setfacl?

I want every new file created in a directory to have an effective acl of rwx for user "bob".

I do this:
setfacl -m d:u:bob:rwx,u:bob:rwx directory

Then I touch a new file into that directory:
touch directory/newfile

Unfortunately, newfile comes in with some seemingly random acl -- sometimes it's r--, sometimes it's rw-, but it's never rwx.

What gives?

I've tried explicitly setting the default and non-default masks too -- that doesn't seem to help (but here's the command I mean):
setfacl -m d:m::rwx,m::rwx,d:u:bob:rwx,u:bob:rwx .

I've used Linux ACLs for a while .. and I've always issued commands
individually. I don't know that this will make a difference for you, but
in case it does, it is worth a shot. Try clearing out your ACLs and do
them one at a time. Also .. I've used (for a default ACL) setfacl -d -m
u:<user>:<perm> .. your format looks a little different. Both could be
right .. I've just never tried it your way. Also .. keep in mind that the
existing file mask counts.

Barry