Old 08-17-2011, 03:48 PM
Alex Troubadour

Default vnc experience

Hi, All,
hopefully this is not too dumb a question.
On red hat enterprise 6, how do you set things so if you run vncserver on the server and do a vncviewer connection to it, you do not see a full graphical desktop ( with its menus, mozilla, etc. ) ?* I would like to have a "plain" background with a simple xterm ( from whcih you could call mozilla, etc. ).* It seems if I modify my xstartup I can remove my full-blown graphical desktop but then I have a blank vncviewer session and do not seem to be able to bring up an xterm window ... left, right, "center" clicking dowes not bring up a menu from which I can select "xterm" ... nor does it bring up any menu.* On older versions of red hat, I was successfully able to do so.* My xstartup file on that box was:
[ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
xsetroot -solid grey
vncconfig -iconic &
xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
twm &

Doing similarly on rh6 does not seem to work ( at least for me ) ... as I said, I do not seem to be able to bring up an xterm.
*
I tried installing twm ( "xorg-x11-twm-1.0.3-5.1.el6.x86_64" ) to no avail.
*
Thanks for any help you can provide.

Old 08-19-2011, 05:29 AM
Cameron Simpson

On 17Aug2011 08:48, Alex Troubadour <fasnet99@yahoo.com> wrote:
| On red hat enterprise 6, how do you set things so if you run vncserver
| on the server and do a vncviewer connection to it, you do not see a full
| graphical desktop ( with its menus, mozilla, etc. ) ?* I would like
| to have a "plain" background with a simple xterm ( from whcih you could
| call mozilla, etc. ).* It seems if I modify my xstartup I can remove my
| full-blown graphical desktop but then I have a blank vncviewer session
| and do not seem to be able to bring up an xterm window ... left, right,
| "center" clicking dowes not bring up a menu from which I can select
| "xterm" ... nor does it bring up any menu.* On older versions of red hat,
| I was successfully able to do so.* My xstartup file on that box was:
|
| [ -r $HOME/.Xresources ] && xrdb $HOME/.Xresources
| xsetroot -solid grey
| vncconfig -iconic &
| xterm -geometry 80x24+10+10 -ls -title "$VNCDESKTOP Desktop" &
| twm &
|
| Doing similarly on rh6 does not seem to work ( at least for me ) ... as I said, I do not seem to be able to bring up an xterm.
| *
| I tried installing twm ( "xorg-x11-twm-1.0.3-5.1.el6.x86_64" ) to no avail.
| *
| Thanks for any help you can provide.

On the face of it there's no twm running. Is there any evidence that
your startup is used at all? Is the background grey, etc?

Is your xstartup file executable? "ls -ld xstartup" should show this.

If the xstartup file _is_ being run, I would guess that your environment in
the xstartup may be lacking. Try putting this:

exec >>$HOME/xstartup.out 2>&1
env|sort
which twm
which xterm

at the top of your xstartup file and run up a new vncserver instance.
Then examine xstartup.out and see what it says.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Government is not reason. It is not eloquence. It is a force, like fire, a
dangerous servant and a terrible master.

Old 08-20-2011, 05:29 AM
Alex Troubadour

Hi, Cameron,
thanks for your reply.* Adding the check for xterm helped.* There is no "xterm" in the path.* I made a symbolic link to gnome-terminal and called it xterm and when I get my green background and click and select "xterm" from the menu, an xterm actually opens.
Thanks ... thi is workable although I have to play with the xterm to see if there are any issue*- there were font messages in xstartup.out after I made the link.
*
Thanks again for your help.* Ideally, xterm will be open when I vnc in rather than my having to click on the background to get a menu and select xterm ... do you know an easy way to do this ?* If not, that is fine ... this is at least workable.
Many thanks
*

Old 08-20-2011, 05:51 AM
Cameron Simpson

On 19Aug2011 22:29, Alex Troubadour <fasnet99@yahoo.com> wrote:
| Hi, Cameron,
| thanks for your reply.* Adding the check for xterm helped.* There is
| no "xterm" in the path.

So, what is the $PATH as recited in the output file?
Also, xterm seems no longer installed by default; IMO this is an error -
it is the "basic always available" terminal program and not installing
it is a bit like not installing /bin/sh, albeit not as serious.

Of course, nothing prevents you installing xterm with yum; it is certainly
available in RHEL6. Unless you're not the sysadmin I suppose.

| I made a symbolic link to gnome-terminal and
| called it xterm and when I get my green background and click and select
| "xterm" from the menu, an xterm actually opens.
| Thanks ... thi is workable although I have to play with the xterm to
| see if there are any issue*- there were font messages in xstartup.out
| after I made the link.

That's probably gnome-terminal wanting more than xterm does.
Gnome-terminal isn't option-compatible with xterm, so it would be better
for you to install xterm.

| Thanks again for your help.* Ideally, xterm will be open when I vnc
| in rather than my having to click on the background to get a menu and
| select xterm ... do you know an easy way to do this ?* If not, that is
| fine ... this is at least workable.

The lack of xterm on startup is probably gnome-terminal not liking one
of the options in your xterm incanation (you are, after all, running
gnome-terminal and not xterm); hopefully there would be an error message
in the output file indicating this.

I would install xterm as a first choice, or otherwise explicitly run
gnome-terminal instead of xterm (with suitably changed options).

Is there a reason you can't install xterm using yum?
Or, if xterm _is_ installed, I would guess it is not in your $PATH.
In which case all you need to do is amend your $PATH in the xstartup.

A little digging in the installed packages should resolve this.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/