FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
» Video Reviews

» Linux Archive

Linux-archive is a website aiming to archive linux email lists and to make them easily accessible for linux users/developers.


» Sponsor

» Partners

» Sponsor

Go Back   Linux Archive > Redhat > Red Hat Linux

 
 
LinkBack Thread Tools
 
Old 08-02-2011, 03:27 PM
unix syzadmin
 
Default How to determine the number of cpu/cores in redhat linux.

hi,

We have purchased a dell R710 and run redhat linux on it.
We want to determine the the number of physical sockets and cores and
hyperthreads on this server.


# dmidecode -t 4 | grep CPU
Socket Designation: CPU1
Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5670 @ 2.93GHz
Socket Designation: CPU2
Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU X5670 @ 2.93GHz



*** excerpts from /proc/cpuifno ***

processor: 0 physical id: 1 core id: 0 cpu cores: 6
processor: 1 physical id: 0 core id: 0 cpu cores: 6
processor: 2 physical id: 1 core id: 1 cpu cores: 6
processor: 3 physical id: 0 core id: 1 cpu cores: 6
processor: 4 physical id: 1 core id: 2 cpu cores: 6
processor: 5 physical id: 0 core id: 2 cpu cores: 6
processor: 6 physical id: 1 core id: 8 cpu cores: 6
processor: 7 physical id: 0 core id: 8 cpu cores: 6
processor: 8 physical id: 1 core id: 9 cpu cores: 6
processor: 9 physical id: 0 core id: 9 cpu cores: 6
processor: 10 physical id: 1 core id: 10 cpu cores: 6
processor: 11 physical id: 0 core id: 10 cpu cores: 6
processor: 12 physical id: 1 core id: 0 cpu cores: 6
processor: 13 physical id: 0 core id: 0 cpu cores: 6
processor: 14 physical id: 1 core id: 1 cpu cores: 6
processor: 15 physical id: 0 core id: 1 cpu cores: 6
processor: 16 physical id: 1 core id: 2 cpu cores: 6
processor: 17 physical id: 0 core id: 2 cpu cores: 6
processor: 18 physical id: 1 core id: 8 cpu cores: 6
processor: 19 physical id: 0 core id: 8 cpu cores: 6
processor: 20 physical id: 1 core id: 9 cpu cores: 6
processor: 21 physical id: 0 core id: 9 cpu cores: 6
processor: 22 physical id: 1 core id: 10 cpu cores: 6
processor: 23 physical id: 0 core id: 10 cpu cores: 6

>From what i understand we have 2 physical CPU sockets, each with 6 cores, so
a total of 12 cores right?
I guess with hyperthreading this appears to be 24 logical cpu's right?

I came to this conclusion on the following facts:
1. any cpy with the same "physical id" are cores in the same socket.
2. any cpu with the same "core id" are hyperthreads in the same core.


Thanks,
--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 08-02-2011, 05:23 PM
Chi Chan
 
Default How to determine the number of cpu/cores in redhat linux.

It's better to get hwloc (Portable Hardware Locality library & utils)
to detect hardware threads, cores, sockets. You can get a graphical
representation of the machine, or you can get text or XML output if
you want:

http://www.open-mpi.org/projects/hwloc/doc/v1.2/emmett.png

Hwloc is also a programming library that is used by Open Grid
Scheduler (the open source version of Sun Grid Engine & Oracle Grid
Engine), Torque scheduler, and various MPI libraries (OpenMPI,
MVAPICH2 & MPICH2) in supercomputing. Hardware architecture has become
very complicated and the output of /proc/cpuinfo is way too confusing
IMO!

You can download the loadcheck util from the Open Grid Scheduler hwloc
page and run it to get the topology string. For example, "SCTTCTT"
means 1 socket (S), 2 cores (C), and in total 4 threads (T):

http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/projects/hwloc/GridEnginehwloc.html

See also:
http://www.open-mpi.org/projects/hwloc/
http://www.rce-cast.com/Podcast/rce-33-hwloc-portable-hardware-locality.html

--Chi



On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 11:27 AM, unix syzadmin <unixsyzadmin@gmail.com> wrote:
> hi,
>
> We have purchased a dell R710 and run redhat linux on it.
> We want to determine the the number of physical sockets and cores and
> hyperthreads on this server.
>
>
> # dmidecode -t 4 | grep CPU
> * * * *Socket Designation: CPU1
> * * * *Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU * * * * * X5670 *@ 2.93GHz
> * * * *Socket Designation: CPU2
> * * * *Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU * * * * * X5670 *@ 2.93GHz
>
>
>
> *** excerpts from /proc/cpuifno ***
>
> processor: 0 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 0 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 1 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 0 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 2 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 1 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 3 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 1 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 4 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 2 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 5 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 2 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 6 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 8 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 7 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 8 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 8 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 9 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 9 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 9 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 10 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 10 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 11 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 10 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 12 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 0 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 13 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 0 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 14 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 1 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 15 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 1 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 16 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 2 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 17 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 2 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 18 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 8 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 19 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 8 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 20 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 9 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 21 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 9 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 22 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 10 * *cpu cores: 6
> processor: 23 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 10 * *cpu cores: 6
>
> >From what i understand we have 2 physical CPU sockets, each with 6 cores, so
> a total of 12 cores right?
> I guess with hyperthreading this appears to be 24 logical cpu's right?
>
> I came to this conclusion on the following facts:
> 1. any cpy with the same "physical id" are cores in the same socket.
> 2. any cpu with the same "core id" are hyperthreads in the same core.
>
>
> Thanks,
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 08-02-2011, 05:33 PM
Matty Sarro
 
Default How to determine the number of cpu/cores in redhat linux.

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 1:23 PM, Chi Chan <chichan2008@gmail.com> wrote:
> It's better to get hwloc (Portable Hardware Locality library & utils)
> to detect hardware threads, cores, sockets. You can get a graphical
> representation of the machine, or you can get text or XML output if
> you want:
>
> http://www.open-mpi.org/projects/hwloc/doc/v1.2/emmett.png
>
> Hwloc is also a programming library that is used by Open Grid
> Scheduler (the open source version of Sun Grid Engine & Oracle Grid
> Engine), Torque scheduler, and various MPI libraries (OpenMPI,
> MVAPICH2 & MPICH2) in supercomputing. Hardware architecture has become
> very complicated and the output of /proc/cpuinfo is way too confusing
> IMO!
>
> You can download the loadcheck util from the Open Grid Scheduler hwloc
> page and run it to get the topology string. For example, "SCTTCTT"
> means 1 socket (S), 2 cores (C), and in total 4 threads (T):
>
> http://gridscheduler.sourceforge.net/projects/hwloc/GridEnginehwloc.html
>
> See also:
> http://www.open-mpi.org/projects/hwloc/
> http://www.rce-cast.com/Podcast/rce-33-hwloc-portable-hardware-locality.html
>
> --Chi
>
>
>
> On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 11:27 AM, unix syzadmin <unixsyzadmin@gmail.com> wrote:
>> hi,
>>
>> We have purchased a dell R710 and run redhat linux on it.
>> We want to determine the the number of physical sockets and cores and
>> hyperthreads on this server.
>>
>>
>> # dmidecode -t 4 | grep CPU
>> * * * *Socket Designation: CPU1
>> * * * *Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU * * * * * X5670 *@ 2.93GHz
>> * * * *Socket Designation: CPU2
>> * * * *Version: Intel(R) Xeon(R) CPU * * * * * X5670 *@ 2.93GHz
>>
>>
>>
>> *** excerpts from /proc/cpuifno ***
>>
>> processor: 0 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 0 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 1 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 0 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 2 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 1 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 3 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 1 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 4 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 2 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 5 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 2 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 6 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 8 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 7 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 8 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 8 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 9 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 9 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 9 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 10 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 10 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 11 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 10 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 12 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 0 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 13 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 0 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 14 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 1 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 15 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 1 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 16 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 2 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 17 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 2 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 18 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 8 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 19 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 8 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 20 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 9 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 21 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 9 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 22 * *physical id: 1 * *core id: 10 * *cpu cores: 6
>> processor: 23 * *physical id: 0 * *core id: 10 * *cpu cores: 6
>>
>> >From what i understand we have 2 physical CPU sockets, each with 6 cores, so
>> a total of 12 cores right?
>> I guess with hyperthreading this appears to be 24 logical cpu's right?
>>
>> I came to this conclusion on the following facts:
>> 1. any cpy with the same "physical id" are cores in the same socket.
>> 2. any cpu with the same "core id" are hyperthreads in the same core.
>>
>>
>> Thanks,
>> --
>> redhat-list mailing list
>> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
>> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>>
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
>

Any reason not to just check /proc/cpuinfo?
Sorry, catching on to this a bit late.

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 
Old 08-02-2011, 06:10 PM
Chi Chan
 
Default How to determine the number of cpu/cores in redhat linux.

On Tue, Aug 2, 2011 at 1:33 PM, Matty Sarro <msarro@gmail.com> wrote:
> Any reason not to just check /proc/cpuinfo?

When your machines are simple single cores, then yeah do whatever you
want it find the cores.

--Chi


> Sorry, catching on to this a bit late.
>
> --
> redhat-list mailing list
> unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
> https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list

--
redhat-list mailing list
unsubscribe mailto:redhat-list-request@redhat.com?subject=unsubscribe
https://www.redhat.com/mailman/listinfo/redhat-list
 

Thread Tools




All times are GMT. The time now is 04:25 PM.

VBulletin, Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2007, Crawlability, Inc.
Copyright 2007 - 2008, www.linux-archive.org