Old 08-01-2011, 04:26 PM
sunhux G

Default mutt / Linux mail client equivalent of Outlook rules

In MS Outlook, we can create mail rules to move / delete
mails from a certain sender or containing a certain text
in Subject.

How can we do likewise in Linux or Linux mail client like mutt?

I'm also looking at creating a mutt / Linux mail client rule that
will detect repeated message (looping message) that's being
sent more than 10 times within 1 minute to delete away such
mails (say an 'Out-of-office' notification mails that's repeatedly
being sent to my mailbox). Since postfix stores incoming
mails briefly only in its queue, thought addressing it from the
mailbox point of view (using the likes of 'mutt' would be better)

Sun

Old 08-01-2011, 04:34 PM
Stephen Gilbert

Check out procmail. I think it'll do just what you want.

Old 08-02-2011, 12:26 AM
Cameron Simpson

On 01Aug2011 12:34, Stephen Gilbert <linuxelf@gmail.com> wrote:
| Check out procmail. I think it'll do just what you want.
| On Aug 1, 2011 12:31 PM, "sunhux G" <sunhux@gmail.com> wrote:

To make things more clear: mutt is a mail reader.
Procmail is a mail filer, which will apply rules to a set of messages.
There are other tools that collect messages (eg from pop or imap, like
the tools fetchmail and getmail) and will hand them to procmail for
filing.

You can refile things in mutt, but it tends to be fairly manual:
limit/tag message matching a mutt pattern, move those messages to
another folder, etc.

But automatic and regular filing of you email wants something like
procmail, attached so som mail collecting tool like fetchmail or
getmail.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@zip.com.au> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

So the master hit the novice upside the head with the back of his hand.
"Why did you do that!?" "I do not want to have to learn another editor."
And the student was enlightened. - Larry Colen <lrc@netcom.COM>

Old 08-02-2011, 12:39 AM

Install thunderbırd maıl clıent

--Mukesh
Sent from BlackBerry® on Airtel

Old 08-02-2011, 06:55 AM
sunhux G

Thanks very much for clarifying chaps.

Is there any quick guide for me to get started to implement those
2 features I indicated earlier?

I have procmail already installed on my box.

# procmail -v
procmail v3.22 2001/09/10
Copyright (c) 1990-2001, Stephen R. van den Berg <srb@cuci.nl>
Copyright (c) 1997-2001, Philip A. Guenther <guenther@sendmail.com>

Submit questions/answers to the procmail-related mailinglist by sending to:
<procmail-users@procmail.org>

And of course, subscription and information requests for this list to:
<procmail-users-request@procmail.org>

Locking strategies: dotlocking, fcntl()
Default rcfile: $HOME/.procmailrc
It may be writable by your primary group
Your system mailbox: /var/mail/root
[root@nspplss2 postfix]#
[root@nspplss2 postfix]# rpm -qa | grep -i procm
procmail-3.22-14
warning: only V3 signatures can be verified, skipping V4 signature