Old 07-29-2011, 09:34 PM
Tanweer Noor

Default No kdump initial ramdisk found.

>> Add Boot Parameters

add below line under /etc/grub.conf

kernel /boot/vmlinuz-2.6.17-1.2519.4.21.el5 ro root=LABEL=/ rhgb quiet
crashkernel=128M@16M

open /etc/kdump.conf and uncomment dump location to /var/crash/

then run below:-

# chkconfig kdump on
# service kdump start

Warning: This will panic your kernel, killing all services on the machine

# echo 1 > /proc/sys/kernel/sysrq
# echo "c" > /proc/sysrq-trigger

if it does not dump core then run below

service kdump start

On Fri, Jul 29, 2011 at 2:24 PM, unix syzadmin <unixsyzadmin@gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi
>
> I am having issues configuring kdump on my linux server.
>
> # service kdump start
> No kdump initial ramdisk found. [WARNING]
> Rebuilding /boot/initrd-2.6.18-128.el5kdump.img
> /etc/kdump.conf: Could not create user1@server1:/var/crash, you probably
> need to run "service kdump propagate"
> Failed to run mkdumprd
>
> how did I configure kdump?
> ====================
> # grep crashkernel /boot/grub/grub.conf
> kernel /vmlinuz-2.6.18-128.el5 ro root=/dev/sysvg/root.fs nohpet
> nopmtimer powernow-k8.tscsync=1 crashkernel=128M@16M
>
> # grep net /etc/kdump.conf
> net user1@server1
>
> The root user on this server is able to ssh to user1@server1 without
> password; tested this to be working with the following command line:
>
> #ssh -i /root/.ssh/id_rsa.us1 user1@server1
>

> Any suggestions or pointers is appreciated.
> Thanks.

~ Tanweer
----

Old 07-29-2011, 11:10 PM
unix syzadmin

Thanks,

I initiated the kernel panic as you suggested; I get this on the console.

SysRq : Trigger a crashdump
Kexec: Warning: crash image not loaded
Kernel panic - not syncing: SysRq-triggered panic!

Old 07-29-2011, 11:25 PM
Tanweer Noor

did you reboot system? if not, please do so. then check whether the system
is already generating a vmcore. Look on the console (either at the machine
directly, or through a kvm or serial console interface). If kdump is already
running, just wait for it to finish.
If kdump is not running, you can start it by pressing Alt + SysRq
(PrintScreen) + C. This will instruct the kernel to panic and generate a
vmcore.

~ Tanweer
----

Old 07-30-2011, 04:13 PM
unix syzadmin

The issue was with password-less ssh.
I figured out the problem. It had to do with specifying the key to use for
ssh to netdump server in ~/.ssh/config file.

#pwd
/root/.ssh

# cat config
IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa.us1

# service kdump start
No kdump initial ramdisk found. [WARNING]
Rebuilding /boot/initrd-2.6.18-128.el5kdump.img
Starting kdump: [ OK ]

I also tested using your procedure to manually crash the server and it
worked; could see a 48G vmcore file created on the netdump server.
Thanks for your help.