-   -   helping remote users (http://www.linux-archive.org/red-hat-linux/546234-helping-remote-users.html)

"Jason Staudenmayer" 06-29-2011 08:20 PM

helping remote users

Sorry if this might be a newbish question but I can't figure it out. I have a user that is just starting to use Linux/RedHat and I'm trying to help as much I can. As most of you know seeing the screen is the best bet to help. Next best is access to the system. What I'd like to do is open a port on my firewall that he can connect to and then I can connect back to his system (kinda like ssh forward but reverse). I had done this a few years ago when I had somebody helping me I just can't find what command he had me use. Anybody know of something like this?

TIA

Jason

..><((((>

"Jason Staudenmayer" 06-29-2011 08:20 PM

helping remote users

Sorry if this might be a newbish question but I can't figure it out. I have a user that is just starting to use Linux/RedHat and I'm trying to help as much I can. As most of you know seeing the screen is the best bet to help. Next best is access to the system. What I'd like to do is open a port on my firewall that he can connect to and then I can connect back to his system (kinda like ssh forward but reverse). I had done this a few years ago when I had somebody helping me I just can't find what command he had me use. Anybody know of something like this?

TIA

Jason

..><((((>

06-30-2011 03:43 PM

helping remote users

Perhaps you simply want to use ssh remote port forwarding. In your
scenario, the remote user could ssh to your machine like so:

ssh -R5555:localhost:22 jasonsbox.domain.com

This causes localhost:22 on the remote user's machine to be
forwarded to yours. Once he connected, you could connect back to
his machine by connecting to localhost on port 5555, like so:

ssh -p 5555 localhost

You could also run vncviewer in listener mode on your machine.
However, I would personally have misgivings about exposing that to
the public net without, at a minimum, some sort of firewall
restrictions.

Colin

"Jason Staudenmayer" 06-30-2011 04:17 PM

helping remote users

That's it! THANK YOU

I'll try it this weekend if he has any issues.

Jason

..><((((>