Old 06-28-2011, 04:53 PM
Troy Knabe

Default migrating iscsi luns in logical volumes

I have a host with 8 iscsi luns in 4 logical volumes. I have a new server that I would like to move them too. I do not have enough storage to duplicate them and copy the data. What is the best method of moving the luns to the new host and keeping the logical volumes? Or is that even possible?

I would also like to move from Red Hat 5 to Red Hat 6, unless that complicates things too much.

-Troy

Old 06-28-2011, 08:27 PM
Bohdan Sydor

On 06/28/2011 06:53 PM, Troy Knabe wrote:
> I have a host with 8 iscsi luns in 4 logical volumes. I have a new server that I would like to move them too. I do not have enough storage to duplicate them and copy the data. What is the best method of moving the luns to the new host and keeping the logical volumes? Or is that even possible?
>
> I would also like to move from Red Hat 5 to Red Hat 6, unless that complicates things too much.

1. Unmount the volumes on the old machine
2. Mark the VG inactive:
vgchange -an VGname
3. Export the VG:
vgexport VGname
4. Logout from the iscsi target
5. Login to the target on the new machine
6. pvscan
7. vgimport VGname
8. Activate the VG:
vgchange -ay VGname

Old 06-28-2011, 10:48 PM
Troy Knabe

Thank you for the post. That is what I am seeing in the documentation I have found as well. My question about this is: How does the new host know about the VGname to vgimport? Shouldn't that be contained in some config files on the host, or is that information written to the lun meta data itself?

Thanks
-Troy

Old 06-29-2011, 06:54 AM
Bohdan Sydor

On 06/29/2011 12:48 AM, Troy Knabe wrote:
> Thank you for the post. That is what I am seeing in the documentation I have found as well. My question about this is: How does the new host know about the VGname to vgimport? Shouldn't that be contained in some config files on the host, or is that information written to the lun meta data itself?

You can check that way:

1. dd < /dev/PVonLUN > localFile skip=1 count=255
2. view localFile --- you'll find text data about the VGs

Optionally you can also use vgcfgbackup/vgcfgrestore to move the config
in a text file.

Bohdan Sydor
www.sydor.net