Old 06-28-2011, 01:01 PM
"Burke, Thomas (ES)"

Default Fedora Server?

Hey, gang...

I'm seriously considering upgrading my server to Fedora. All the distros I see, however, tout their "desktopiness." Are they all good to use as a server, or is there one in particular I should use? Or something else, for that matter? I am intrigued by the engineering "spin," and might like to install all that stuff on my server, as well...

Thanks,
Tom

Old 06-28-2011, 01:15 PM
"Marti, Robert"

It depends what you mean by "server". Fedora is fine for a home server or your desktop. The problem with using it for a public facing service is that the code develops too quickly, and just running a yum update could take you from a 100% working box to something like httpd not starting -which would be a bad thing for a webserver.

If the packages you want aren't available in RHEL or one of the rebuilds, you can rebuild a Fedora package for RHEL.

Rob Marti