Old 06-21-2011, 01:14 PM
"Ostrowski, Tomasz (NSN - TH/Bangkok)"

Default RHEL5.3 x64 first boot problem on FTS RX300 S6 - grub not loading

Hello All,

I just wonder if it is known case that right after installation of RHEL
5.3 x64 on FTS RX300 S6 the grub is even not loading.
What I've done is standard RAID (mirroring) configuration in the LSI
menu (CTRL + C during post)

hd1 + hd3 = mirror1
hd2 + hd4 = mirror2

I've booter from DVD installed like via gui (no lvm) everything on sda:
/boot ext3 200MB (sda1)
/ ext3 40960MB (sda2)
Swap ext3 20480MB
/opt ext3 <Free space>
/var ext3 10240MB
/usr ext3 10240MB
/home ext3 20480MB
/tmp ext3 20480MB

Then after reboot when the server wants to boot the screen becomes
black, and there is no grub.

I've booted to rescue mode with rhel DVD, performed grub installation
"setup (hd0) (hd0,0)" the result was successful but still after reboot
the screen is black .

Do you have any hints about this?

Do you think that using dd to load stage1 directly into /dev/sda could
be good idea?

Regards
Tomek

--
Tomasz Ostrowski
Nokia Siemens Networks Ltd, Thailand

Old 06-22-2011, 10:39 PM
Grzegorz Witkowski

On Tue, 2011-06-21 at 15:14 +0200, Ostrowski, Tomasz (NSN - TH/Bangkok)
wrote:
> Hello All,
>
> I just wonder if it is known case that right after installation of RHEL
> 5.3 x64 on FTS RX300 S6 the grub is even not loading.
> What I've done is standard RAID (mirroring) configuration in the LSI
> menu (CTRL + C during post)
> hd1 + hd3 = mirror1
> hd2 + hd4 = mirror2
>
> I've booter from DVD installed like via gui (no lvm) everything on sda:
> /boot ext3 200MB (sda1)
> / ext3 40960MB (sda2)
> Swap ext3 20480MB
> /opt ext3 <Free space>
> /var ext3 10240MB
> /usr ext3 10240MB
> /home ext3 20480MB
> /tmp ext3 20480MB
>
> Then after reboot when the server wants to boot the screen becomes
> black, and there is no grub.
>
> I've booted to rescue mode with rhel DVD, performed grub installation
> "setup (hd0) (hd0,0)" the result was successful but still after reboot
> the screen is black .
>
> Do you have any hints about this?
>
> Do you think that using dd to load stage1 directly into /dev/sda could
> be good idea?
>
> Regards
> Tomek
>

> --
> Tomasz Ostrowski
> Nokia Siemens Networks Ltd, Thailand
> OPS Integrated OEM and Digital Supply/APAC
> Mobile NEW: +66 824 85 87 70
> Time Zone: GMT+7

Hi Tomek,

Have you check on your controller if there is any option to select which
virtual disk should be a boot device?
Some controllers offer that option.
>From your post it looks you setup 2xRAID1 VDs. If non of them or the
wrong one has the boot flag set the system won't boot from this VD.
I do not know this platform, but have you got a BIOS boot menu
available? If yes, have you tried to select it? Are you sure you are
booting from the correct device?

Kindest regards,
Ges

Old 06-23-2011, 06:31 AM

wrote:

Hello All,

I just wonder if it is known case that right after installation of RHEL
5.3 x64 on FTS RX300 S6 the grub is even not loading.
What I've done is standard RAID (mirroring) configuration in the LSI
menu (CTRL + C during post)
hd1 + hd3 = mirror1
hd2 + hd4 = mirror2

I've booter from DVD installed like via gui (no lvm) everything on sda:
/boot ext3 200MB (sda1)
/ ext3 40960MB (sda2)
Swap ext3 20480MB
/opt ext3<Free space>
/var ext3 10240MB
/usr ext3 10240MB
/home ext3 20480MB
/tmp ext3 20480MB

Then after reboot when the server wants to boot the screen becomes
black, and there is no grub.

I've booted to rescue mode with rhel DVD, performed grub installation
"setup (hd0) (hd0,0)" the result was successful but still after reboot
the screen is black .

Do you have any hints about this?

Do you think that using dd to load stage1 directly into /dev/sda could
be good idea?

Regards
Tomek

--
Tomasz Ostrowski
Nokia Siemens Networks Ltd, Thailand
OPS Integrated OEM and Digital Supply/APAC
Mobile NEW: +66 824 85 87 70
Time Zone: GMT+7

Hi Tomek,

Have you check on your controller if there is any option to select which
virtual disk should be a boot device?
Some controllers offer that option.
> From your post it looks you setup 2xRAID1 VDs. If non of them or the
wrong one has the boot flag set the system won't boot from this VD.
I do not know this platform, but have you got a BIOS boot menu
available? If yes, have you tried to select it? Are you sure you are
booting from the correct device?

Kindest regards,
Ges
01000111 01100101 01110011 01100011 01100001 01110000 01100101
http://counter.li.org #239224 Registration 2001-10-29 07:19:32
-= GNU/Linux - The Experience of Freedom =-

HI Grzegorz,

The LSI controller has very limited configuration options. Like create
RAID and nothing more. I haven't see any option for boot flag in the LSI
controller.
In the BIOS the created VD's are visible. I've even tried to manually
force in boot-menu to boot from the VD but no luck.
I think it is some kind of bug, Ive found some web pages during
googling. Make a query "grub installation problem on LSI mirror". But
make it on google.com on .pl the results are different.

Unfortunately nothing helpful for me.

One more thing putting stage1 by dd on the drive is not healthy, I've
expected that it will erase partitions info but just wanted to try

Regards
Tomek

Old 06-26-2011, 11:03 PM
Sanjay Chakraborty

I believe you need to install MBR.

if your system boots with dvd type grub-install /dev/hda1

Sanjay Chakraborty

Old 06-27-2011, 01:34 PM

Sanjay Chakraborty wrote:
> I believe you need to install MBR.
>
> if your system boots with dvd type grub-install /dev/hda1

I would have thought grub-install /dev/sda1

mark