Old 06-17-2011, 12:14 AM
"Florez, Nestor"

Default java 1.6.0 and tomcat 5

Hi there,

I am trying to get tomcat5 running with java 1.6.0
I "yum install tomcat5" and my java is
#java -version
java version "1.6.0_20"
OpenJDK Runtime Environment (IcedTea6 1.9.8) (rhel-1.22.1.9.8.el5_6-x86_64)

#tomcat5 version
Found JAVA_HOME: /usr/lib/java
Please complete your /etc/tomcat5/tomcat5.conf so we won't have to look for it next time
Using CATALINA_BASE: /usr
Using CATALINA_HOME: /usr
Using CATALINA_TMPDIR: /usr/temp
Using JRE_HOME:
/usr/bin/dtomcat5: line 362: /usr/lib/java/bin/java: No such file or directory

What do I need to do to run tomcat5 and java 1.6.0?

Thanks,

Néstor

Old 06-17-2011, 12:42 AM
"Geofrey Rainey"

A few ways:

1. you could symlink, something like so (change the location of the java 1.6 binary though):

ln -s /usr/java_1.6/bin/java /usr/lib/java/bin/java

2. specify the JAVA_HOME variable in tomcat.conf

online at tvnz.co.nz

Old 06-17-2011, 02:42 PM
"Florez, Nestor"

Forgot to mentioned that I am using rhel 5.6

My /usr/bin/java is a link that points to /etc/alternatives/java

The command "alternatives --config java" returns with
/usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-openjdk.x86_64/bin/java

JAVA_HOME in tomcat5.conf points to /usr/lib/jvm/java

everything points to a different java.
What is the correct java to point to on rhel5

When I tried to start tomcat5, it does not start and I get
# service tomcat5 start
Starting tomcat5: lock file found but no process running for
pid 1232, continuing
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find servlet Java extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Some detected jars were not found for this jvm

All of this happened when I "yum erase tomcat5" and "yum erase java-1.6.0"
and then I installed then again.

THANKS!!!

online at tvnz.co.nz

Old 06-17-2011, 03:05 PM
"Florez, Nestor"

OK, I pointed my JAVA_HOME to /usr/bin/java and when I start tomcat5
I get:
# service tomcat5 start
Starting tomcat5: lock file found but no process running for
pid 10652, continuing
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find jdbc-stdext Java extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find jndi Java extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Could not find servlet Java extension for this JVM
/usr/bin/rebuild-jar-repository: error: Some detected jars were not found for this jvm

Uhmmm....

online at tvnz.co.nz

Old 06-18-2011, 09:18 AM
"Geofrey Rainey"

We run tomcat5 and java 1.6 at work. We don't use the Redhat rpm's, I find their locations and rpm names etc a little confusing. Here's what we do:

Install Sun's JDK into /usr/java .... (then link it using the alternatives program, if you like).

Download and Install the Tomcat zip file from the Apache site also into /usr/tomcat... then set your JAVA_HOME in some file like $TOMCAT_HOME/bin/catalina.sh, near the top - you'll see a whole bunch of environment variables.

Of course you'll need to note the following:

Completely uninstall the tomcat and java rpm's, and you won't have an init.d script, so you won't be able to execute "service tomcat5 <blah>". You start Tomcat like this:

$TOMCAT_HOME/bin/startup.sh or shutdown.sh

Let me know if this helps and how you get on.

Cheers,
Geofrey.

[...]

CAUTION: This e-mail and any attachment(s) contain information that is intended to be read only by the named recipient(s). This information is not to be used or stored by any other person and/or organisation.

online at tvnz.co.nz

Old 06-20-2011, 08:37 AM
Nigel Wade

On 17/06/11 16:05, Florez, Nestor wrote:
> OK, I pointed my JAVA_HOME to /usr/bin/java and when I start tomcat5
> I get:

Under the alternatives system, /usr/bin/java is a link to the Java
runtime executable. What Tomcat requires in JAVA_HOME is the base
directory of the Java installation. If you want to use alternatives to
control the location of Java then try setting JAVA_HOME to
/etc/alternatives/java_sdk. Othterwise set it to the base directory
where the RPM installed Java.

BTW, I presume you have installed openjdk-devel. AFAIK Tomcat requires a
Java compiler to compile JSP and you want that compiler to match the JVM
runtime. You most definitely do not want it to be some gcj abomination.

E-mail : nmw@ion.le.ac.uk
Phone : +44 (0)116 2523548, Fax : +44 (0)116 2523555

Old 06-20-2011, 02:42 PM
"Florez, Nestor"

I think I solved the problem. Tomcat5 was installed after java 1.4.2
Was installed then last week I proceeded to install java1.6.2 and
Tomcat wil stil point to java 1.4.2

I removed all java and tomcat and tehn I install java 1.6.2 and tomcat5
and now tomcat5 is is pointing to the java 1.6.2

Thanks to all for your help

online at tvnz.co.nz