Old 05-31-2011, 11:48 PM
"Yard, John"

Default Java on RH enterprise 4

I have an application to be downloaded to my RH Enterprise 4
System that requires Java jre or jdk version 1.5 .
If I do an rpm -qa I get :

# rpm -qa | grep java
java-1.4.2-gcj-compat-1.4.2.0-27jpp
gcc-java-3.4.6-11.el4_8.1

I don't think this is telling me what I want to knoq.

How do I determin what level jre / jdk I have on this system ?

JYard
UCLA

Old 06-01-2011, 12:05 AM
"Mr. Paul M. Whitney"

I go to Sun/Oracle's website and download JRE. Latest version is most secure. Then make sure you link this JRE to /usr/java/latest or something like that path.

Paul M. Whitney
RHCSA, VCP
Sr. Systems Engineer
Worldwide Information Network Systems
email: whitneyp@winsnetworks.com
cell: 410.493.9448

Old 06-01-2011, 12:06 AM
Michael Scully

John:

If the application can be pegged to a particular version, you can install as many different revisions of Java as you like. You can download all of the archived versions from Oracle if you create a developer account.

Java will install to /usr/java, with each version in its own directory. Look in there to see what version(s) you have. But if you need the /usr/bin/java to point to a particular one, change the symbolic link of any of the java command links there (java, javaws, javac, javadoc).

MS

Old 06-01-2011, 12:18 AM
"Mr. Paul M. Whitney"

What Michael said. Thank you for amplifying. IPhones suck with responding to these.

Old 06-01-2011, 02:05 AM
"Geofrey Rainey"

If you want to know what version of java you have, type:

$JAVA_HOME/bin/java -version

(this may or may not be linked to /usr/bin/java)

Cheers.

online at tvnz.co.nz

Old 06-01-2011, 01:04 PM
"Nehemias Urzua Q."

John.

Edit "subscriptions to channels" and add the channel "RHEL AS (v. 4 for x86)
Extras"

Here are the Java RPM 1.5 (BEA, SUN, IBM, etc)
Install the package
# up2date-i java-1.5.0-ibm-1.5.0.0-1jpp_2rh.i386.rpm

And then you can modify the version of java to use.
[root@qwerty ~]# alternatives --config java

There are 2 programs which provide 'java'.

Selection Command
1 /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.4.2-gcj/bin/java
*+ 2 /usr/lib/jvm/jre-1.6.0-ibm/bin/java

Enter to keep the current selection[+], or type selection number:

Best regards!!
NJ