Old 05-31-2011, 10:32 PM
"Allen, Jack"

Default USB Tape drives

Thanks for the quick reply.

Our Application has its own database backup that can go to tape drive, IBM's TSM or Symantec's NetBackup. We are looking at a new development system (IBM) and they suggested the USB tape drive instead of the standard SCSI 4mm. I think mainly because it would not require another PCI slot to be used.

Some of our customers do not have an Enterprise Backup Solution such as TSM or NetBackup and still need to do backups is the reason we still support tape drives. I was just trying to see what may change as far as device names and functionality if it was a USB tape drive. If the device name is the same and functions the same, then nothing will have to change in the backup program. I am sure the transfer rate will be somewhat less. But that will be OK, because the customers using tape drives generally have a lot less data to backup anyway.

Jackson C. Allen
McKesson Provider Technologies
5995 Windward Parkway
Alpharetta, GA 30005
(404) 338-2023
Jack.Allen@McKesson.com
Confidentiality Notice: This e-mail message, including any attachments, is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and may contain confidential and privileged information.* Any unauthorized review, use, disclosure or distribution is prohibited.* If you are not the intended recipient, please contact the sender by reply e-mail and destroy all copies of the original message.