Old 11-26-2007, 11:51 AM
"Virden, Larry W."

Default Forking the discussion - attempting to update a laptop running redhat... Any Certified Laptops In The Future?

In the past week or so I 'inherited' a hand me down Dell laptop that is
running red hat 7. This is my first redhat as well as first linux
system, though I've used other types of unix for years.

When one is running a low resource hardware item like a laptop (mine has
256 meg of memory and about 8 gig of disk), what's a good migration
path? I mean, I presume that attempting to use whatever update mechanism
exists is going to attempt to download a LOT of files - probably more
than will fit on my disk, and for that matter, which might not run even
if downloaded and installed, due to higher memory requirements, etc.

Anyone else had to deal with this sort of issue?

I would love to run red hat but need to run it on a laptop. Is there
any effort to get red hat certified on laptops as it is on desktops and
workstations? I don't need pre-installed. Thanks.

Old 11-26-2007, 12:15 PM
"Herta Van den Eynde"

On 26/11/2007, Virden, Larry W. <lvirden@cas.org> wrote:
> In the past week or so I 'inherited' a hand me down Dell laptop that is
> running red hat 7. This is my first redhat as well as first linux
> system, though I've used other types of unix for years.
>
> When one is running a low resource hardware item like a laptop (mine has
> 256 meg of memory and about 8 gig of disk), what's a good migration
> path? I mean, I presume that attempting to use whatever update mechanism
> exists is going to attempt to download a LOT of files - probably more
> than will fit on my disk, and for that matter, which might not run even
> if downloaded and installed, due to higher memory requirements, etc.
>
> Anyone else had to deal with this sort of issue?

Hate to do this, but try a forklift migration.
Red Hat 7 is almost archeologically ancient, and while 256 MB might be
enough to *install* another linux if you are a patient person, it will
soon drain that patience when you want to use anything on top of it.

Kind regards,

Herta

Old 11-26-2007, 12:53 PM
"Virden, Larry W."