Old 05-20-2011, 09:00 PM

Default Regarding /opt

Dear Reader,

Greetings!!

I am using rhel 5.3, by mistake I deleted the /opt directory, so is there any chance to get it back from the CD or the image of the OS, or do I need to go for a re-installation of the operating System to get it back ? Its just my testing environment, so any level of R&D could be done.

Thanks in advance.

Regards,

Amitesh Sahay

Old 05-20-2011, 09:10 PM
Philip Juels

I believe in a vanilla installation of RHEL, /opt is empty. So,
assuming you didn't install anything critical to the base OS in /opt,
then you can probably just mkdir /opt.

Old 05-20-2011, 09:15 PM
Grzegorz Witkowski

On Fri, 2011-05-20 at 17:00 -0400, amiteshsahay@aol.com wrote:
> Dear Reader,
>
> Greetings!!
>
> I am using rhel 5.3, by mistake I deleted the /opt directory, so is there any chance to get it back from the CD or the image of the OS, or do I need to go for a re-installation of the operating System to get it back ? Its just my testing environment, so any level of R&D could be done.
>

> Thanks in advance.
>
> Regards,
>
> Amitesh Sahay

Hi,

Did you have anything in it? Are you getting any errors now? Are you
sure you deleted only /opt?
If it was empty just create a new one with mkdir.
Usually you install/find 3rd-party soft in it.

Regards,
Ges

Old 05-20-2011, 10:17 PM
"Kyle O'Donnell"

assuming you are using ext based filesystems we've used extundelete:
http://extundelete.sourceforge.net/